Chapter 82

"Miss Lanchester?" one of my dance teachers asked that evening from the classroom door, and I looked that way with my arm raised above my head, my leg up in the air, and my foot pointed toward the ground. She smiled and dipped her head in greeting when she saw that I was looking at her. "Can you come here for a second, please?"

I hesitated before I did what I was told and started to walk over to her. "Yes, Ma'am," I said, ignoring the questioning look of my peers while I bit the inside of my lip, becoming very nervous and concerned because I hated being called on when I didn't do anything wrong.

The main dance teacher, Mrs. Freeman, smiled and nodded in greeting when I made my way to her, and she gestured for me to follow her before she turned around and started to walk somewhere, and I couldn't help but follow her.

She cleared her throat and gestured for me to move closer to her, and I did what I was told to do and moved over to her side. "Now, how are you, Dear?" she asked and raised an eyebrow in question while she looked at me from the corner of her eye.

"I am doing good," I said while I shrugged and grimaced before I cleared my throat and rubbed my hands together. "What were you wanting from me, Mrs. Freeman?" I asked, hoping that she would answer me now that we were out of the room, even though I had a feeling we were going to her office. "Am I in trouble?"

My dance teacher chuckled and shook her head, no. "No, Sweetheart," she said before she cleared her throat and grew serious. "We will talk about this when we get to my office. Ok?"

I pressed my lips into a thin line before I slowly nodded, not liking that she wasn't going to tell me while we were on our way there.

Mrs. Freeman cleared her throat again and licked her lips. She placed her hands behind her back and stood taller while she glanced at me from the corner of her eye before she looked forward. "It would make some of our... students upset if we talked about this out here," she said softly.

I held back an eye roll and pressed my lips into a thinner line while I placed my hands behind my back. I didn't say another word while I continued to follow her to the office, becoming more annoyed and anxious.

Mrs. Freeman stopped in front of the door and gestured for me to walk in before her, and I did what I was told to do and walked into the office and then she entered after me. "Go ahead and sit down in that chair, Dear," she said and gestured to the chair in front of her desk before she made her way to her side of the desk.

I hesitated before I slowly nodded and walked over to the desk and chair before I sat down with a small sigh, and Mrs. Freeman sat down in the chair on the opposite side of the desk.

"So," she began before she cleared her throat and shifted in her seat. "I believe that you are wanting to know why I had called you here and taken you away from your class. Correct?" she asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

I nodded in confirmation. "Yes, Ma'am," I said and cocked my head while I furrowed my brows. "Why am I here? What can I do for you?"

She didn't say a word and looked at some papers on her desk before she looked at me again, pushing a piece of paper toward me.

I hesitated before I looked at the paper and saw that it was something that required my parents signature about a competition that was happening in a couple of months, and I had a feeling that she wanted me to compete with their competition team.

"I would like it if you did a solo with our competition team," she said, confirming my suspicions. She cleared her throat and leaned forward, placing her hands on my desk. "I have heard through the grapevine that you used to compete with your old studio."