Chapter 5

A/N: Just a joke between my friend and me that I decided to add. ;) (The song above.)

~Rissa

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Mom, Dad? I am home," I called after I slammed the door shut and tossed my keys into the bowl that was kept on a table. "Did you miss me?"

"Always, my Dear," my mother said while she walked into the hallway from the kitchen. She smiled at me, wiping down a plate with a towel that she hooked on her waist.

I kicked off my shoes by the door and walked over to her in mismatched socks while I cocked my head and smiled innocently. "Does that mean... I can become homeschooled?" I asked, putting my arms behind my back and swayed back and forth after I had stopped in front of her.

Mom gave me a deadpanned look. "No," she replied. "You will still go to school like a "normal" teenager." She held her hand and stopped me from talking. "I know what you are going to say, Cassidy Anne, but I do not care. You are still going to go to school, even though you are "far from normal" as you put it."

I closed my mouth and pursed my lips. "Fine," I grumbled, knowing full well where this conversation would go since we've had it multiple times.

My mother beamed triumphantly, and I rolled my eyes and smiled because I was happy that she was happy. She narrowed her eyes playfully. "Now, now," she scolded, teasingly, while she wagged her finger. "Don't do that. Your eyes will stop in the back of your head if you keep that up."

"What? Like this?" I rolled my eyes, and she scowled.

"Very funny," she said dryly. She walked into the kitchen again, and I followed her. "How was school? Any new friends?" She gestured to the table where a plate of fresh fruit sat, ready to be eaten. "Eat, and then you can run."

"But what if I want to run now?" I whined and sat down at the table with my stomach sounding like a dying whale.

My mother rolled her eyes and went back to doing the dishes. "Your stomach sounded like a dying whale. Are you sure that you want to run like that?"

"No." I grabbed an apple slice and stuffed it into the bowl of cheese dip before I ate it. "I just wanted to see what you would say."

"Un-huh." She placed the plate on the counter and grabbed another plate from the sink. "That is what I thought."

I rolled my eyes and took another apple slice. "Where's Dad?" I asked, changing the subject.

"His lair," she replied. "Your father is trying to get this reaction for whatever he is doing, but there is a chance that there will be a-"

Boom!

Mom cringed, and I snickered while the whole house shook from the explosion. "-another explosion." She shook her head and placed the plate on the other one, and I snickered.

My father opened the door of his lair located near the pantry and walked out, coughing while some smoke blew out before he could close the door. His brown hair stood up at the ends, and he looked more like a mad scientist than normal.

"I hate saying this, but I told you so, Hal," Mom said, not turning to look at him. "You should have Cass look over your work so that you don't have another explosion."

My father grumbled and nodded. "I know that I should've, but I wanted to try it by myself." He took off his goggles and looked at me with a smile on his face. "Hello, Cass. How was school?"

The smell of acid and something plant base filled my nose and made my eyes water. I started to have trouble breathing, but I didn't panic as I should have for some reason. "I think I am going to go run now," I said, ignoring my dad's question. I stood from the table so fast that I knocked the chair over with a loud bang before I ran out of the room.

"You shouldn't have placed that in there," I heard my mother hiss before I was out of earshot. "You know that wolfsbane affects her. They told you that."

"I know," I heard my dad reply to my mom. "But it shouldn't have affected her so soon..."

I didn't pay attention to the rest of the conversation and made it to my room. Quickly, I changed into other clothing and stuffed my feet into my tennis shoes, wanting to get out of the house as soon as possible.

As soon as I finished, I grabbed my phone, earbuds, knife, and armband for my phone before running out of the bedroom and flew down the steps.

"Have fun! Be careful and stay on the path!" my dad called after me as soon as I made it to the door.

"I will!" I exclaimed and flung open the door before I ran out and started to make my way to the woods.

When I made it to the edge of the woods, I stopped and took a deep breath, loving the freshness of the air that made me crave a place that I once knew. I sighed and shook my head before getting ready to run while I started to walk down the path.

Six pairs of eyes landed on me as soon as I stepped underneath the trees' cover from those that I deemed the tree people because they were always in the trees, and their gaze was always on me while I ran or explored the woods.

Their presence was comforting, even though it sometimes aches because I wasn't with them, whoever they were. They ensured that I was protected and watched for and never interfered in whatever I did unless my safety was on the line. However, they had never shown themselves to me, and it hurts, but I understood. They, whoever they were, had to make sure that I didn't know about them. However, that didn't work, and I knew that they were there, watching and protecting me, but I made sure they never knew. I didn't want them to leave me.

With an aggravated sigh, I randomly selected a song on my phone and grinned when Highway to Hell filled my buds before I picked up my pace to a full-on sprint, following the path that had been laid out by whoever thought I needed it while I ran to my heart's content.