Chapter 47

I slowly walked to the spot where Xav and I had met for the past two times, my mind a wreck. I was numb, barely paying attention to the world around me, but I didn't care because I knew that the eyes around me had my back while I was lost in thought.

My mouth was dry, my stomach was a mess, and all I felt was lightheaded and sick, which wasn't a good combination for me.

How could my mother do this to me? I silently wondered while my bottom lip quivered. How could she give them my address when she knew how much going there the first time had affected me so much mentally and emotionally?

Because a part of you still wants to go... a voice whispered in the wind, brushing through my hair and twisting the ends. Because it is something that you enjoy doing.

My stomach dropped and clenched with guilt because whoever that voice was, was right. A selfish part of me wanted to go to that school and forget everything else.

It wanted to forget everything that had happened and do the one thing that made me happy.

I looked at the letter in my bag and dropped my bag on the ground with a soft thunk. I stared blankly at the writing, my eyes memorizing each word of what the outside said, even though it wasn't that much.

Miss Cassidy Anne Lanchester, it said in that stupid cursive print they used. 1543 Saint Priest Road, Salem, Texas 70680 and then DO NOT BEND written across the top with the information on where Julliard was located in the corner like a normal envelope should be marked.

I bit back a sigh and crumbled the letter, not caring that I was bending the paper before I chucked it into the woods and out of sight but not out of my mind. I huffed and crouched down while I folded my hands across my head and closed my eyes, trying to focus on my breathing and nothing else, but that didn't work.

Sweat beaded down my forehead while I focused on my breathing, and my stomach turned again.

Quickly, knowing full well that I was about to throw up, I lurched myself to the edge of the woods and the path and threw up into the bushes, making sure not to cross the imaginary border that kept me "safe."

Again, my stomach rolled, and I threw up again until I was basically dry heaving over the bushes and clutching my stomach to stop it from churning.

As soon as I felt a bit better, I groaned and fell a little backward until I was on my butt and pulled my legs up to my head. I hugged my legs to myself while I tried to calm myself down, but it didn't work, and I was shaking, something that I hated having the tree people see, especially since I acted like I had everything put together and knew what I wanted to do with my life.

My phone started to ring, and I closed my eyes and groaned when I heard the Star Wars theme song, knowing full well that it was Chewie wanting to facetime me and get me to tell him what had happened this afternoon.

I shifted to the side and pulled my phone out of my pocket to stare at the name before I rejected the call and tossed the phone onto the ground beside me.

Again, my phone rang, and I groaned louder, annoyed before I rejected the call a second time, not even bothering to look at it because I knew that it was Chewie.

Thankfully, he didn't call a thir-

Shit.

The phone rang again, interrupting my thoughts, and I groaned and rejected the call before I tossed it to the side but not far enough that I couldn't reach it if he called.

Instead of calling me a fourth time, he texted me, and my phone went ping when he sent the message.

I sighed and picked my phone up and looked at the screen, curious to see what he had messaged me, even though a part of me knew what it would say.