Chapter 11

My phone rang when I was in the middle of answering some questions for Charlie's class, and I groaned out in annoyance. "This better be fucking good," I muttered.

The wolf chuckled behind me, and I nudged him in the ribs before I grabbed my phone and swiped to answer the video call.

"Hel-lo, Gorgeouslicous," my best friend said from the hallway of his house. He grinned, and his brown eyes grew lighter when he caught my scowling face. "Awwwww, did I interrupt something you were doing?" he asked before he pouted mockingly.

My scowl deepened, and he grinned innocently. "You know you did," I said, and he shrugged his shoulder. I leaned against the wolf and shifted until I was comfortable against him.

The wolf groaned in annoyance that I had shifted before he huffed. He moved ever so slightly, but it was enough to cause Jack to take notice.

Jack's face paled, and his brown eyes grew wide. Worry and fear filled them, and I frowned because I had no idea why he was afraid and wondered if he knew what I was leaning against. "Cass," he said. "I need you to do me a favor a-"

"I'm not moving," I said, interrupting him. I pursed my lips and scowled, and he raised an eyebrow. "He's not going to hurt me." I shrugged. "Besides, he's comfortable."

"He?" Jack asked, and I nodded. "Do you know his name?"

"Xav," I said, and the wolf lifted his head and stared at me with shock filled eyes. I looked at him before I looked at one of my best friends. "His name is Xav."

Jack furrowed his brows and blinked in confusion. "Xav?" he asked, and I nodded. "Are you s-" He stopped talking when the wolf growled a warning, and his face grew pale. "Ok," he said. "Xav it is."

I raised an eyebrow. "What?" I asked and narrowed my eyes at him. "Do you know something that I don't?"

Jack didn't answer and looked away from the phone. He was; I could tell, and I knew that he knew that I knew because he didn't answer, knowing full well that I would catch him in a lie.

"Jackson," I warned and narrowed my eyes further.

Jack pursed his lips in disgust. "Don't call me that," he said, and I rolled my eyes at him. "For you and Mom, it's scary, but it isn't for anyone else." He stopped in front of a door and knocked on the door.

"Go away," the muffled voice of his sister said. "I'm pooping."

Xav made a noise, and I looked at him. His blue eyes were filled with amusement, and he raised an eyebrow.

I shrugged and didn't reply while I turned my attention back to the screen.

Jack scowled and rolled his eyes. "Come on, Mack," he said. "I know that you aren't pooping."

The sound of someone pooping filled the air, and I bit back a snort. The sound went on for a couple of seconds before it abruptly ended.

Jack wrinkled his nose in disgust. "I don't know if I want to be amused or disgusted that you have someone pooping as audio," he said, and I couldn't help but snort. He looked at the camera and mouthed, 'Help me," in which I smiled innocently and shook my head.

Again, the sound of someone pooping filled the air before it ended a second time.

Jack scowled. "Ok," he said. "Then, I guess you do not want to talk to Cass. Don't come crying to me because I didn't try to find you so that you can talk to her, too."

A squeal escaped my best friend's lips, and I had to close my inner ears so that my eardrums wouldn't burst. "Cassidy!" she squealed happily, and Xav groaned in annoyance. The door opened, and the male's face was replaced with the female. "Hi, Best Friend," she squealed, going into her room and closing the door behind her without her brother. "How are you?" she asked and locked the door. "Did you play nice with the other children?"

I rolled my eyes and scowled, even though an amused smile flickered onto my lips. "Very funny," I said dryly. "Let Jack in, and then we can talk."

Mack pouted. "But he is a screen hog," she said. "Why should I let him in?"

"One, you can use your laptop," I said and rolled my eyes. "Two, you are the screen hog and not him."

"Am not," Mack said. She unlocked the door and walked to her bed. "I am not a screen hog."

"Yes, you are," Jack and I said in unison after he had opened the door and walked into the room. "You are very much a screen hog."

Mack shrugged and put the phone down so that I was staring at the purple ceiling we had painted years ago. "So?" she asked. She got onto her laptop and typed in a passcode before she brought the video call onto the laptop's screen while her brother sat down beside her.

"So, you don't need to blame your brother," I said. "Are you going to add the others?"

"Yep," she replied. "You might want to do the same."

I grumbled something under my breath and set my phone down as well as my homework. "Can you smack your brother for me?" I asked and pulled my laptop out of my bag. I turned on the power and waited for it to load, watching as the circle moved, symbolizing that it was loading.

Smack!

"Ow!" Jack exclaimed, and I snorted. "Cass! What was that for?"

"That was for you interrupting me from doing my work," I said, putting in a password before my background popped up of me floating in the air with some wires and painted green with a broom in my hand because we had done Wicked for last year's play, and I was Elphaba with Jack as Fiyero and Kayla as Glinda. "You know that I don't like being interrupted."

"Do you still have the Wicked screen up?" Mack asked. "Lemme see before you move it over. I don't like looking at the pretty trees."

I rolled my eyes and held the phone up so that she could see the screen. "There," I said. "Happy?"

"Ecstatic," she said. She grinned and bounced on the bed, and her brother scowled. "Oh my gosh, that was such a good musical," she said. "The way you and Jack worked together. It was just..." She squealed.

I rolled my eyes and scowled before I turned the video call onto my laptop instead of my phone. "We've worked in too many musicals and plays together," I said, "especially when there was kissing involved."

Xav lifted his head from his paws and groaned. He scowled and glared at Jack, and Jack's face grew pale.

"Hey, you have a cute wolf behind you," Mack said. She shifted slightly in front of her brother and kept the cheerful persona in place. "Do you mind calming him down before he chews off my brother's head?"

I turned my head to look at him. "Chew his head off; your balls are mine," I said, and he turned his head to me and raised an eyebrow. I looked at him with a serious expression. "Like I said before, there is nothing between us. The only reason why he was the Clyde to my Bonnie in shows was because I wouldn't kiss anyone else."

He raised his eyebrow further.

I shrugged. "I didn't want them to get the wrong ideas," I said, honestly. "And I didn't trust them enough to do the scenes that we needed, which include kissing. I knew that Jack would not try to pursue something that I didn't want in between us." I shrugged again and grimaced. "Besides, he's a horrible kisser."

"Hey," Jack complained. "I am not. You are."

I rolled my eyes and gave him a pointed look. "Really?" I asked and raised an eyebrow.

"Well, I don't want to get my head chewed off, so yes," he replied. "You are a very horrible kisser, and your breath normally stinks."

I scowled and looked at Mack.

Mack grinned and smacked him across the back of the head again.

Jack scowled and rubbed the back of his head. "Gee, thanks," he said sarcastically.

"No problem," she chirped. "Now, let's add the group so we can have a group discussion about everything that had happened today."

I bit back a groan and leaned against my wolf. "Great," I said. "I can't wait."