Chapter 52

"Hello Cassidy," Sergio greeted me when I walked into the building and gently shut the door behind me. He quickly slammed his laptop closed and pulled out a USB cord, looking nervous and guilty about something. "How are you today?"

I frowned and narrowed my eyes while I studied him, getting suspicious about his behavior. "Hi?" I asked. "What has you looking so guilty?"

Sergio cleared his throat and looked away from me. "Nothing, nothing," he said while he shook his head. He cleared his throat again and stood while he tucked his laptop underneath his arm. "So, how did you get in here so quickly?" he asked, changing the subject. "We weren't expecting you until about eight."

I raised an eyebrow in question and shrugged. "I just figured out how to get in here sooner, I guess," I said, deciding to play dumb because I have no idea if they knew that Dr. Trent had told me about the chip in my wrist. "So, how did I get in here?" I asked and looked at the door before I looked at him. "I mean, I found a keypad and just moved my hand across it. There was this small ding, when something set it off, and the words 'Welcome C-1-19-19' appeared. Who is C-1-19-19? Is there some sort of code that I need to be worried about?"

"Ummmmm..." He trailed off, not answering me. Beads of sweat appeared on his forehead, and he looked anywhere but at me. His heart rate picked up, and I could tell that I was making him nervous because of all of my questions, and he had no idea how to respond.

I narrowed my eyes at him, super amused with his behavior and scowled. "Are you part of the mafia?" I asked. "Or are you in a cult? Why are there so many locked doors and security stuff in this gym?" I gasped and covered my mouth in shock while my eyes grew wide. "Are you all doing illegal stuff? Am I now a part of it? Is that why my name is 'C-1-19-19' on the screen and not my real name, or is 'C-1-19-19' even talking about me?"

"Well... you see..." Again, Sergio trailed off, not able to finish his sentence without spilling secrets that were supposed to be kept from me.

"I see what?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. I frowned, mentally laughing at the state he found himself in while he tried to cover up his tracks and those that belong to his group. "What am I supposed to see?"

Sergio's eyes grew wider, and the sweat started to bead down his forehead faster. "Ummm... Well..."

Unfortunately, my game of cat and mouse ended when someone walked into the building, holding the bag that I didn't realize I had dropped while I was trying to figure out how to get in.

Charlie looked between us not dressed in his formal teacher clothing and was instead in an outfit that was similar to mine. His hair was a mess and unkempt, and I kind of liked it better like that than his normal combed hairdo that he used for work.

"Oh, look, it's Charlie," Sergio said with a sigh of relief in his voice. He relaxed slightly and wiped the sweat off of his forehead. "Hi, Charlie. How are you?"

He looked at Sergio and blinked, unimpressed. "Good," he replied before he looked at me. "I believe this belongs to you?" He held my bag towards me and raised an eyebrow in question, and I squealed happily and grabbed it.

"My food!" I exclaimed and hugged it closer to me. "I must have dropped while I was trying to get in. Do you know why the machine zapped me?" I asked, looking at Charlie and raising an eyebrow in question. "Did you get zapped too?"

Charlie looked at Sergio, unimpressed before he looked at me. "No," he replied, and I could tell that he was lying. "And I did not get zapped."

He tucked his head closer to his chin and silently told me to shut up, knowing full well that I knew he was lying.

I closed my mouth and frowned, having a feeling that he'd tell me later but not now. "Are ya'll part of the mafia?" I asked instead.

"No," he replied.

"How did I get in here?" I asked and cocked my head while I studied my teacher. "And who is C-1-19-19? The screen said "welcome C-1-19-19" before it went blank again. It showed that code when I jiggled the keypad a bit."

Charlie sighed loudly and closed his eyes just a bit, looking "annoyed" at me asking all of the questions that I had asked Sergio. "Must you always be a pain in the ass, Miss Lanchester?" he asked instead and raised an eyebrow.

I wrinkled my nose in disgust and pursed my lips. "We are not in school, Charlie," I said. "Why do you have to do the formalities with me?"

He smirked. "Because it shuts you up," he replied, and I groaned and rolled my eyes because that was his way of telling me that he wasn't going to answer my ton of questions. He cleared his throat to hide a chuckle before he grew serious. "But, are you ready to see what you'll do here?" he asked and raised an eyebrow, changing the subject.

I frowned, not sure if that meant he was going to be my teacher here or not. "Does that mean you'll be my teacher?" I asked, letting him hear the dissatisfaction in my voice. "Because I am already tired of having to listen to you at school."

Charlie smiled and shook his head. He was amused about my question, but I could tell that he didn't want to be my teacher here either, even though he would probably help mentor me or be my partner for partner work. "No," he replied. "I will not be your teacher. We will be on the same playing field here."

I nodded, relieved and satisfied with his answer. "Does that mean I can kick your ass?" I asked and raised an eyebrow.

Carlie laughed and nodded. "Yes," he said with a laugh still in his voice. "That means that you can kick my ass. However," he paused and winked, "you can only kick it in the ring if Commander allows us to fight each other. Deal?"

I grinned and nodded, feeling excited and nervous at the same time about facing Charlie head to head after so many years apart. "Deal."