Chapter 64

"So, how is school?" Mom asked while she looked at Bryson with a raised eyebrow, and Bryson looked at her with wide eyes and a stuffed face full of food. "Is Cass keeping you out of trouble, or is she getting you into it?"

I almost spit out my drink when she said that and cleared my throat before I started to cough. "Mom," I croaked out while I blinked back tears. "Be nice."

My mother looked at me innocently and cocked her head while she studied me. Amusement filled her eyes, and I held back an eye roll while I looked at her. "But, I am being nice," she said innocently, and I covered my mouth to hide a laugh. "What are you talking about, Cass?"

"I am talking about the fact that you aren't being nice," I said while I took another sip of my drink. I cleared my throat and leaned against the back of my chair. "I am neither getting him into trouble nor am I keeping him out of trouble."

"Hmph," Mom said while she slowly nodded and pressed her lips into a thin line. "Are you saying that he gets you into trouble?" She raised an eyebrow, and I raised an eyebrow too.

"I am not saying that," I said while I took a bite out of my food. "In all honesty, I have been much better behaved at this high school than at the other." I covered my mouth when I said that before I drank some more of my drink.

Mom raised her eyebrow higher when I said that. "You? Better behaved?" she inquired, getting slightly worried. She narrowed her eyes and studied me, pressing her lips into a thin line. "Really? Why? What happened? Are you ok?"

I nodded before I wrinkled my nose and pursed my lips in annoyance. "I am," I said before I shrugged and grimaced. "However, I don't like the principal nor vice principal, so I'd rather steer clear of them if I can."

My mother frowned and narrowed her eyes while she studied me. She didn't say a word, but I could tell that she knew that there was something else going on, which was why I was "better behaved" and not my normal rambunctious self.

"Is it because you trust Copo more, which is why you were not as behaved as you could be?" Bryson asked, trying to help me. He frowned while he studied me, and I had a feeling that he knew there was something else, which I didn't want to dive into.

I shrugged and pressed my lips into a thin line before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "I trust Copo because he had been my Vice Principal and was nice to me when we first met."

"Was the principal not nice to you?" Xavier asked, and there was something in his voice that had me looking at him through narrowed eyes.

He stayed silent while he looked at me, not blinking. His face didn't give me anything, and I bit back an annoyed huff because I hated how closed off he was with me.

I thought we had gotten past this, Xavier, I silently said while I took a bite of my food to make sure that my face stayed neutral and not show as annoyed as I was. Why are you acting so afraid of me?

I tried to go through some of Cassandra's memories of him, but every time I did so, I felt like I was hitting a wall, blocking me from everything she knew about him.

I had a feeling that something was important and it was the reason why I couldn't read him like I could with both Bryson and my mother.

What are you hiding from me, Cassandra? I asked, not hiding the desperation in my voice. Is this something that I can use to get him to open up to me again?

My heart and stomach tightened in guilt and sadness, and I had a feeling that it was some of Cassandra's feelings that I felt for some reason.

But I didn't understand why she was feeling this guilt and sadness and couldn't help but be annoyed.