Chapter 3

I stopped at the door to my first class and stared at the back of a brown headed male that I had known since I started to go to school way back in Pre-K. Shock and confusion filled my body, and I had to blink and rub my eyes just to make sure that he was there. "Mr. Brickson?" I asked, and the male stopped writing before he continued what he was doing. "What are you doing here?"

"It isn't class time yet, Miss Lanchester," he said while Bryson stopped moving and looked between him and me, confusion filling his eyes. "What did we talk about the last time you entered my classroom early?"

I rolled my eyes and walked into the classroom before choosing a desk and sat down while I placed my bag on the ground beside me. "What are you doing, Charlie?" I asked, cocking my head, and studied the male's familiar back that I trusted a lot. "Are you following me? I swear that you are."

"No," he replied. "I just have family living here and decided to move back." He finished writing his name and turned to look at me, his brown eyes filled with compassion and care that it made my heart grow warm. "Besides, it was time for me to move on, too." He shrugged and acted nonchalantly.

I narrowed my eyes at him, becoming suspicious. "No wonder you weren't upset when you heard that I was moving. I thought you would have been."

A slow smile curled onto his lips, and he shook his head. "I was celebrating," he replied. "Especially since you had almost set my classroom on fire." He narrowed his eyes and scowled, and I grinned innocently. Charlie rolled his eyes and shook his head, the smile appearing again.

"Is that why you are teaching math this semester?" I asked, raising an eyebrow, and he shook his head again.

"They needed a math teacher, and since I have skills in math, I decided to teach math instead."

I shook my head, amused. "No, you just don't want to hear about another substitute teacher getting scared and leaving." I narrowed my eyes at him, and he grinned. "I thought you had told the teacher that if I got bored, then I'd do my own stuff since we both know that I am good with stuff."

"I did, and unfortunately, she didn't listen. That did not mean you could destroy the classroom, Cassidy," he warned, narrowing his eyes at me.

"Wait... you two know each other?" Bryson asked. He took the seat next to me and sat down while he looked at us. Confusion filled his eyes when he turned his gaze to Charlie, and they seemed to have a silent conversation with each other before he shrugged his shoulder.

"Yes," I said, furrowing my brows and looked between them confused. "He had been my teacher while I was growing up and going to school. He is the one that makes sure I don't do anything stupid for whatever reason."

"Even though you still do it," Charlie replied. He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet, raising an eyebrow. "Are you going to behave this year?" he asked, even though he knew the answer.

I raised an eyebrow at him and gave him a 'what do you think' look, in which he chuckled and shook his head. "Do you two know each other?" I asked, gesturing between the two men. "I caught that silent look between the two of you."

Again, both men looked at each other and then at me. They didn't say a word, and I had no idea if they were going to lie or not to me, even though I would know if they lied to me.

I narrowed my eyes and folded my arms across my chest. "Don't lie," I warned, pursing my lips in disgust. "I will know if you two lie to me, so do not do it."

Charlie sighed and nodded his head, breaking first. "Yes," he replied. "I know him." He cleared his throat and moved a hand across the back of his neck. "He is the child of my friend that I had told you about two years ago."

"Cassandra," I said, and a shiver went down my spine when I said that name. I shivered again, and my heart started to pound faster as if that name held more meaning than just being a name. I had no idea why, but every time I saw or read that name, it felt as if there was something else in it, something that I wanted to know but couldn't, not yet.

Power filled that name, a power that was somehow connected to me, even though I had no idea what it was and why there was power in that name. It was as if this person named "Cassandra" held that power in her name, and when she was called, she came forth.

Charlie slowly nodded his head, not looking phased that I had shivered when I said that name. He had seen this before, knowing that it didn't hurt me at all when I shivered at the sound of her name. "Correct," he said. "He's one of the reasons why I moved back here."

I raised an eyebrow when I caught the look on his face and knew that there was another reason why he had left the school and came back here. I had no idea what it was, but I felt that it had to do with this female Cassandra and maybe the people she had known. "What was the other reason?" I asked, hoping that he would answer.

Charlie shook his head and offered me an apologetic smile. "That is not something that I can say," he replied. "However, one day, you will find out what it is." He glanced at Bryson when he cleared his throat, and again, they had a silent conversation with each other before he looked at me. "Don't ask. You know better."

I rolled my eyes and slumped in my seat, pouting. "I know," I replied coldly. "Even though I don't like it."

Charlie chuckled and shook his head again. He stayed silent and turned towards the board to write more information down while Bryson took a seat beside me.

No one said a word, but I didn't mind this quiet. This quiet was peaceful while I waited for class, to begin with, the start of a new semester and a new year.

Goddess, let this one be a good year.