Chapter 24

"So I was thinking about getting this burger that someone had su- Mom, are you ok?" I asked while I opened the car door and started to get in from successfully fooling my parents into thinking that I didn't know what they had been talking about before I got in.

I frowned and furrowed my brows while I caught my mother's tearstained face, making sure that she didn't know that I knew what was wrong.

Concern bubbled in the pit of my stomach, and I prayed that nothing else happened while I was gone and that the only reason why she was crying was that she didn't know if I would be back or not.

My mother sniffled and wiped her eyes before she tried to fix herself while I slid into the car and went behind her after I closed the car door.

"Mom?" I asked again when she didn't respond the first time. "What is it? What is wrong?" I reached to touch her shoulder but stopped, not knowing if she wanted me to touch her, especially since I was the reason for her tears.

My mother sniffled again and wiped her eyes while she shook her head. "Oh, nothing, nothing, Dear," she said soothingly, and I frowned because I knew that she was lying. "Everything is fine, just fine." She reached her hand out, and I instantly took it, seeking her comfort and peace.

My father bit back a scoff and cleared his throat instead. "Well?" he asked, looking at me through the rearview mirror while he raised an eyebrow. "How was it? Did you learn anything new?"

I shrugged. "It was just a small introduction," I said. "I learned that Charlie goes to the gym that I am now going to." I paused and cocked my head, and they looked at each other before they looked at me with raised eyebrows. "I think he is following me," I stated matter of factly. "I mean, why else would he be at the school that I am going to and then at the same gym I'm going to?"

My father chuckled and tapped the steering wheel, something he did when he was nervous or hiding something. He cleared his throat and looked at the road, breaking eye contact with me. "Or you could be following him," he said.

He looked at me through the rearview mirror and raised an eyebrow while a small smirk appeared on his face. "Have you thought of that?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Very funny, Dad," I said sarcastically, and he chuckled. "I'm serious, though. Why is he always where I am at? Is there something that I don't know, which is why he is here, and you both know that reason?" I raised an eyebrow in question and stayed silent, waiting for them to either confirm or deny what I had asked.

My parents didn't say a word while they looked at each other before they looked at me, not knowing how to answer my question without giving me too much information.

My father cleared his throat and looked at me. Pain and sadness filled his eyes while he studied me, wanting to tell me the real reason why but knowing that it wouldn't be safe for me to know not until I was claimed by "them," whoever they were.

Finally, he sighed and cleared his throat before he looked at the road again. "Put your seatbelt in," he said, his voice firm and leaving no room for argument. "We will discuss this in time. For now, leave it be."

My heart sank because that was not the answer that I was wanting. "Bu-" I said but stopped talking when he raised his hand to silence me.

"No, Cassidy Anne," he said in a tone that had me flinch, and my mother grabbed my hand a little tighter. He sighed and shook his head before he ran a hand through his hair and grimaced. "I'm sorry, Cass," he said softly. "Unfortunately, I am not allowed to answer your questions. I can't, not unless I want to risk your safety."

I frowned and cocked my head while I furrowed my brows. "To risk my safety?" I asked, and he silently cursed at his stupidity because he should have known I would have picked up on that. "What do you mean about my safety? What's going on, Dad? Please, tell me. What are you hiding from me?"

My father sighed and shook his head. He looked at the rearview mirror, and it seemed that he wasn't looking at me but at something else, someone else, who was watching us, waiting for the right moment to appear and claim me as their own. "Put on your seatbelt," he said instead. "Let's go ahead and leave and get something to eat. Shall we?"

"Bu-" I cut myself and sighed sadly, my heart breaking while I let go of my mother's hand so that I could do what he told me to do. "Yes, Sir," I said solemnly and put on the seatbelt before I slouched back in my seat.

My father turned around and looked at me sadly. He patted my knee in apology before he cleared his throat and started the car. "Think of it this way," he said and looked at me with a small smirk.

His eyes were filled with sadness but danced with a sense of adventure and excitement of what the future held for me.

I raised an eyebrow in question, not knowing where he was going with that look. "What?" I asked. "How am I supposed to think?"

He winked, and his smirk grew a little wider while he looked at me through the rearview mirror. "You get to practice your skills as a TruthSeeker," he replied and started to back up the car from its spot. "If you want to find something that we are hiding, then all you have to do is seek for the truth, and you shall find it."

After he backed up all the way from the spot, he looked at me again and winked.

"Hal," my mother said, aghast. She scowled but looked amused while both of us grinned at her. "Behave yourself."

My father chuckled and dipped his head in apology. "Of course, Dear," he said, "but I make no promises."