Chapter 40

"Hey, Cass!" Bryson exclaimed while I walked from the kitchen area to the seating area with a plate of food in my hands during lunch. "Come sit with us!"

"Can't," I called out, not looking in their direction and keeping my fast pace so that I could get out of the cafeteria as soon as possible. My heart pounded hard in my chest, and anxiety slowly started to settle on me while I walked, wanting to get out of here as soon as possible before I started to panic because of how overstimulated I was getting. "But come join me if you all want. I don't mind."

There were sounds of shuffling and cursing while they packed up, and I had a feeling that they were trying to catch up to me before they lost me because I exited the cafeteria doors before they were ready.

I breathed a sigh of relief as soon as the anxiety left me when the doors closed shut behind me, blocking out the noise, smells, and sights that my hardwired brain couldn't handle. "Thank, Goddess," I said and moved a hand across my face while I slowed my pace down, making sure that I was still seen by whoever wanted to eat with me.

The door to the cafeteria opened, and I heard a few people shuffle out before the door was closed again.

Bryson was the first to reach me, which didn't surprise me, and he walked beside me. "So, where are you eating?" he asked. "Why aren't you eating in the cafeteria with everyone else?"

"I am going to eat with Charlie like I have done for the past eleven years of my school career," I replied while I looked forward. "And I don't think you want to see a bubbling mess of a person if I stayed behind," I said and looked at him from the corner of my eye.

"What do you mean?" a familiar voice asked with concern. "Also, I'm Yazmin, by the way, but I go by Yaz."

"It means that I have a huge panic attack if I stay in an overstimulated place for long," I said and looked at her. I offered the female a small smile and dipped my head. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Cassidy, as Bryson has probably stated, but I go by Cass."

Yaz smiled and nodded before she cleared her throat and grew serious. "I'm... sorry about my brother," she said and looked away before she looked at me again. "I hope that doesn't affect..." She trailed off and shrugged while she grimaced.

"It doesn't," I said and looked forward. "My beef is with Cal but not with you. You can't choose who you share blood with. All you can do is either ignore them or deal with them." I set my jaw in annoyance and pressed my lips while I thought about my extended family and the assholes that I had to deal with before my parents decided to cut contact with them.

I didn't know the full story because they never told me, but I knew that they didn't want me to be around them, something about them being dangerous or something or another, and I could care less because when I had met them, I wasn't fond of them, to begin with.

They were the type of people to plot, and I had a feeling that they were plotting something bad or destructive that would be considered dangerous to my health or others.

Yaz sighed with relief and nodded while Bryson looked at me curiously because he caught the wave of emotions that went across my face. "That's good," she said and cleared her throat. "Anyway, the other three people of this lovely group are Reginald, who goes by Reggie, Grayson, and his sister, Gracie."

I looked behind me and watched as those who were called waved, and I smiled at them while I dipped my head. "It's nice to meet you all," I said. "You didn't have to come to eat with me."

"Well, our fearless leader decided to join you, so of course, we had to come too," a light blonde headed person said, and he winked playfully at me. "And I don't mind it at all."