Marcus Rashford

- picnic.

He was nervous, so nervous. The fact you'd accepted his offer of a date took him by surprise, and now he found himself watching you with a wide smile as you walked along the length of the park towards him were he'd set up. Sat on the thick plaid blanket, the layer of material protecting you from the itchy long strands of grass and the exploring ants, the array of treats neatly laid out under the shade of the large oak tree. A choice of grapes, bread sticks, mini sandwiches hed woken up early this morning to chop the crusts off of, frantically panicking that they wont look as impressive if theyd been lazily left cut in half- doubting his options of plain ham, plain cheese, marmite and jam- wanting to make sure there was definitely something there that youd like. His hands grow clammy with every step you took.

Does he go in for a handshake? A hug? Kiss you on the cheek?

The bustling of the city skyline seemed to become silent the second you reached him, it was just you and him in that moment. He opted for a hug, your arms wrapping around his muscular frame with a warming hello! instantly putting him at ease. Welcome he giggles nervously, arms splayed out, presenting the selection of goodies hed prepared for the two of you, taking a seat on the blanket and patting the space beside him for you to join. Your top dangles open when you lean down and he has to stop himself from looking, busying himself with the trays of neatly cut sandwiches. I made some sandwiches, theres different options in there.. You dont have to eat all of them, I just wanted, yknow to make sure-theres marmite- wait no one likes marmite I- your hand delicately rests on the side of his arm. Your smile melting his nervous hurry of words, his sentence barely able to string itself together.

I love marmite you wink, watching the weight drop from his shoulders, a quiet sigh of relief, pulling back the layer of cling film that coated the tray, and I love the effort youve gone to, thank you so much you take a bit of the sandwich, humming in delight at the taste, the first thing youd eaten all day- too nervous to even think of forcing some soggy cornflakes down your neck this morning. He blushes at your praise, offering you options from the never ending supply of treats.

Small talk is made as you nibble of pita bread and cheese, asking him about how his recent game was. It wasnt intrusive, he appreciated that, other girls would swoon over his footballer status but you held a comfort that made it feel like a regular nine-to-five job.

As the conversation began to pick up, hours passed, and you found yourselves lying on your tummies, heads propped up by your hands, shoes flung to the side of the blanket with your bare feet swishing in the air, tapping each others ankles every so often, the small contact giving him the comfort he needed. Indulging in a game of people-watching, the city that never slept offering endless conversation, watching the couples walk by hand in hand, some staying a few metres away from each other looking rather tense, others linking arms deep in conversation. He seems himself in some of them, you by his side blushing at the compliment hed give you, your hair falling over your shoulder, only for you to complain that youre in desperate need of a haircut. But he liked it, the way it traced down your back, the loose strands making themselves known at the front of your face, only to watch you tuck them behind your ears to stop them protruding your eye line.

How long do you think theyve been together? his daydream is interrupted by your gentle voice, a single finger subtly pointing at the new pair of people. Maybe mid-20s, the man tall and lean, around the six foot two mark, the woman far more petite, the skirt she was wearing only made her legs look shorter next to his. Their hands were clasped together, bright smiles on their faces as their arms swung back and forth in an over exaggerated fashion.

Ahh, the honeymoon stage he hums, exuberating a fake confidence as though he was certain on the answer, your giggles filling his ears as he continues the characteristics, fingers brushing against his chin as though he was combing through a long beard, deep in thought, watching them walk along the path out of sight. Six months, madam he winks at you, popping a grape into his mouth, watching you raise your eyebrow and nod in agreement. He feels a burst of pride, hed impressed you.

The hurried businessman sprung up the next conversation, the overly expensive suit still failed to sit properly at his ankles, flapping vigorously with every stride he took. Phone held against his ear, orders shouted into it at what you could assume was aimed at his assistant.

Phil, thirty four- you begin, painting a picture of the strangers background story, he listens intently with a wide smirk, works in fInAnCe mAnAgeMeNt, and is always bragging about his sex life despite his wife not giving him any cose the newborn takes up all her time you shrug, you look over to him, only to notice hed been staring at you the whole time, smiling and blinking slowly as your eyes meet, blushing vigorously, wondering if youd gone too far.

So instead he flirts with the lady at the front desk, and hes got a tinder profile set up on his work phone, describing himself as an avid runner he continues for you. The two of you laughing loudly at the information youd received from the poor guys image.

His hand comes to brush against yours, fingers pushed through your own, lifting both your hands to point at the bustling group of mums approaching the corner of the lake. Too caught up in their meaningless conversation of pelvic muscle exercises and the smoothies theyd been trying to notice one of the many babies is heading directly for the water, excitedly chasing after a terrified duck. That better not be you when we have kids he nudges your shoulder with his own. Only for his whole body to freeze in a fit of panic. Fuck. what did he say that for? On a first date?

Absolutely not you scoff humorously, his comment made the butterflies in your tummy erupt and set off in flight to help the poor duck. Gripping his hand firmer to comfort his worry. His nervous giggle growing a decibel louder as he shuffles closer to you. Youd never find me in a park Ill be in Selfridges, taking full advantage of your credit card you let out a loud howl at your own joke, hearing him playfully tut at your words, watching you in such awe as you role onto your back, staring up at the passing clouds, only then realising the sun was beginning to set behind the large oak tree, the hours having flown by with the easy conversation.

Very funny pretty one the nickname didnt faze him this time, now he laid on his back next to you, your head twisting to look over at him. Your smile growing at the sight of his own, his hand coming to find yours again.

Hes silent.

You both are.

Neither of you speaking in the moment, his body now propped onto its side, looking down at your resting beauty, tucking that troublesome strand of hair behind your ear. Fingertips brushing against your skin, the golden sunlight painting you as a goddess, something youd only find in the movies. And yet here he was, in his own fairy-tale.

If anyone was watching you, laid on their bellies creating background stories for strangers theyd never met. Theyd say the two of you had been together for years, that honeymoon stage never leaving, not with the way you still looked at each other. Theyd giggle as they made make-believe careers for you both, naming your first child for you. Then theyd watch, in silence, as he leans forward, lips slightly pouted, eyes beginning to close.

Closer, closer, closer.

Turtle you speak. His eyes now open, lips relaxed, eyebrows furrowed in confusion,

What? he chuckles nervously. The so-close-yet-so-far feeling looming in the pit of his stomach. Your arm flies up, index finger pointing towards the fluffy cloud above your heads.

It looks like a turtle you giggle. His breath leaving his nostrils in defeat. Laying down beside you once again, shoulder to shoulder, eyes studying the clouds above your heads.

He cant help but smile, maybe he didnt get the kiss, but he got all this, the tranquillity of feeling youd known someone for years, the normality and comfort of your eyes, the peaceful trance of your smile, the music of your giggle.

As he lays down on the crumb covered picnic blanket, he finds himself imagining your future, creating the future for him and the girl laid next to his beating heart and twisting stomach, the girl hed only met today.