The Gaffers Daughter

- Chapter One: Miss Southgate.

You groaned as your Uber pulled up to St. George's Park, the sun had barely risen from how early it was, you desperately didn't want to be there, but your dad has insisted you 'did something with your life' now that you'd finished studying. So apparently going to work for him was the best option. However, you could think of many better things than being stuck watching a bunch of stuck up footballers kick a ball around all day, every day, bragging about how brilliant they are as they earn your life salary in two hours.

You thanked the driver as he pulled your bags out the boot, walking up the steps and through the door to be greeted by some old men in tracksuits, looking slightly confused when they didn't see a muscular man walk in, instead a girl "Y/N" you greeted them to put an end to their confusion, putting on a fake smile as you shook both their hands. "Miss Southgate" one of them sighs in realisation as you nod your head with a tight lip smile. You simply nod as the desk manager hands you your room key, telling you to use the lift then turn left, and walk down the corridor until you find room number 152.

Another thank you leaves your lips as you bid farewell to the two men who's name's you couldn't be bothered to learn, knowing you weren't going to stick around here long. Following the directions you were given you drag your suitcase along the corridor until you eventually reach room 152, pushing the key card into the slot and opening the door, the sight of the bed was the best thing to have happened all morning as you collapsed onto it, throwing your bag onto the floor quickly helping yourself to the complimentary apples and grapes, eyes noticing the small card with 'Miss Southgate' neatly scribbled onto the back of it, as you flicked it open, reading the little note.

- Miss Southgate, thank you for joining us at St. George's Park, training starts at 09:00am. Your lanyard will be waiting at the front desk, please collect on your way down. We look forward to having you onboard!

9am? These losers really think.. A text interrupted you from your little day dream as you lifted your head slightly of the mattress to read it.

Lunch in 10. I expect you to be down here and introducing yourself to the lads. - Dad.

Despite Caller ID he still felt the need to sign every text with 'dad' just incase you couldn't tell. You groaned at the thought of having to leave this gorgeously comfy bed and actually make an effort to socialise.

Ten minutes later your legs are forcing themselves to walk down the corridor, to the left and then into the lift as you head towards the front desk as they hand you a dark blue lanyard with your name printed on the badge, apparently according to the tiny bit of plastic you were a 'member of staff', you managed to track down the canteen, rows of tables and chairs empty as the boys queue up for their food. You joined the back of the queue, many small mumbles and whispers coming from the group of boys as you made your way to the end, hearing your dads name a few times because that's all people knew you as 'the gaffers daughter' you have a name.. but never mind.

You'd stood behind a tall frame, wide and extremely muscular as you looked up at the short hair on the back of his head, panicking when he turned around towards you, trying to make it look as though you weren't just staring at him. He smiles at you as you make awkward eye contact, you had to stop yourself from asking how his teeth.. and his face were so.. so, perfect.

"Y'alright" he nods his head upwards once as a greeting, "yeah, you?" you reply back simply not in the mood to talk to anyone, but that god damn smile made it hard not to let lost in his eyes. He's nodding as he uses the kitchen tongs to pick up three pieces of bacon slowly placing them onto his plate, he quickly put them down when he realises he never introduced himself. "I'm Ruben by the way" he pushes his spare hand out, and your shaking his hand- slightly sweaty- but he's cute so you decide to let it pass.

"Y/N" you're smiling back, a genuine smile this time, he seems sweet enough. "The gaffers daughter". He's speaking his thoughts as he reads your lanyard, you try so hard to not let your eyes roll to the back of your head, is that all everyone knew you as?

"Do you want to sit with me?" He's asking with raised eyebrows as you finish picking out what you want for breakfast, plate featuring some eggs, bacon and sausages. The question takes you by surprise as you look at him for a few seconds as he stands they're awkwardly. "Uh, um.. Yeah if you don't mind" you're stuttering as he smiles, leading you to a table pulling out a chair for you as you thank him, he decides to sit opposite you as you both eat in comfortable silence.

"Who's your new friend Rubes?" You hear a loud voice from behind you as you flinch slightly at the volume, the chair next to you being pulled out as it scrapes across the floor, the stranger taking a seat next to you with a smirk on his face, fingers tapping the table as he waits for Rubens reply. "Uh- Del this is Y/N. Y/N this is Dele." This Dele boy is looking at you, slightly longer than you'd feel comfortable with as he gives you a small smile, and a cheeky wink as you smile back. "Nice to meet you." His eyes still on you, as if you was the only one in the room, ignoring Rubens existence as he studied your face, another smile coming onto his face once he's looked at you long enough. Then, like nothing had happened he's pushing his seat back in as he stands up, his and Rubens hands slapping together and then fist bumping one another as he walks off, gone as quick as he arrived.

Breakfast had finished, the team chatting away to one another, some of them noticing you and Ruben sitting together- you'd caught a few of them staring, thinking they're subtle as they pull faces at Ruben who shoo's them away with a quick glare of the eyes. Then they're all hurrying off, like herded cattle as they all walk in the same direction. "You watching us train?" Ruben's asking as he gets up, taking your empty plate for you as you think of how to answer the question- desperately not wanting to stand in the cold and watch a ball roll around on the grass, but the note had mentioned training so surely you had to go anyway? "Yeah, i think so" you're replying not entirely sure either. "Come on then" he's smiling, waiting for you to put your jumper on and quickly down the rest of your apple juice, him leading the way to the training ground.