Marcus Rashford

- new man.

"I see we meet again." He chuckles, half annoyance, half pleasure, opening the door to the sight of you  stumbling onto his driveway. Once again a girls night out turned sour, so of course you did you what you did best, calling him and pleading him for the thing he did best, the only thing you knew what to do in this new chapter of your life. Still somehow returning to the book you put down over a month ago. "Kai wouldn't pick up his phon-" you mumble, not making eye contact as you speak, eyes fitting to him when he interrupts you, "Y/N" his tone is powerful, yet a hint of deflation trickling through, "I don't want to know about your new man" he nods, palm raised to bring you to the end of your sentence. "And I'm positive he doesn't want to know that your here with me."

"Anyways" he smirks, "If it was meant to be, you wouldn't be ringing me up trying to f-" you growl at the sound of his voice, knowing him too well, well aware of exactly what he was going to say. "No Marcus, that was one time, let a girl made a drunken mistake." You whine, lobbing a pillow at him as he laughs.

An outsider looking in would label this as 'flirting' a love expert would simply say 'true love', but to the two of you, this has simply become a hobby.

"Did the five hundred pound jeans not work for you?" he laughs at his own joke, remembering the drunk conversation the two of you had together the last time you wobbled onto his doorstep. "Or was it the fact that he wears no socks with his shoes?" he watches as you shake your head, biting your cheeks as you try so hard not to laugh. Kai wasn't your 'boyfriend' simply a 'boy friend' who may just end up in your bed every now and then. You groan " do- don't he's on this new diet now, he's starting going to the gym right.. and he still doesn't wear socks!" You half squeal in disgust, Marcus clapping his hands whilst throwing his head back with laughter.

This felt right, like the old times, despite the conversation missing an 'I love you' like you'd once tell one another, deep down this was still the same to you. Yes, he'll admit to looking through your instagram and trying not to double tap, fully aware that that's where the trouble lies. But to see you sat on his sofa, in his house, talking to him as if the past never happened was so comforting. He wishes you'd realise you're free to make the choice and leave, and come back to what was meant to be, remembering the days when you used to hold his hand. Just a young boy in love.

"And i have to pluck his eyebrows!!" Your laugh brings him back to life, remembering where he was, to not get carried away with his thoughts. "Let me guess.. you'll be bleaching him next?" His face smug as he watches you gasp, throwing another cushion his way.

"Hey he makes you happy... that's fine by me" he says so casually that it takes you by surprise, face instantly dropping at his words. Swallowing thickly as a blanket of silence encloses the room. Nothing was 'fine' about this messy situation.

You knew that he knew, he knew you were missing his love. He knew this 'Kai' kid was a poor replacement of him. The six pack, despite the endless beers. The holidays, with all the 'fellas'. The fashion sense, but it was simply a man bag on his shoulders that you would call a purse to tease him, but the joke would never hit home a home run like it did with Marcus, and don't even get started on the sunglasses- indoors, during winter at nighttime. The fact he'd make gang signs every time a rap song came on, shouting 'tune' made you eternally cringe.

You'd never felt like that with Marcus, there was no part of him that you could fault. No part of you felt like you needed to 'change' when you were around him. You'd changed since the breakup, you act so differently, the two of you were well aware of that. Marcus would tease you, referring to you as one of them 'Instagram girls', who was once buried in a book, now keeping up with Kylie, eating kale and hitting the gym, in the back of the club kissing a lad that's not him. That was the biggest change. One he refused to recognise.

He loved how you'd call his phone whenever you wanted to chat, whenever you wanted to feel at home. Just a young girl trying to be loved. When you're with him, he knows you feel lonely. But these messy phone calls need to stop, you'll get there eventually. He knows your missing his love... you just need to show him.