Reiss Nelson

- 29.

October 29th. It's been a year since you lost him. The night your whole life turned upside down, you wish you could erase it from your memory. But you couldn't. You could remember it like it was yesterday, and still to this day his words echoed in your head.

It was a cold rainy night, typical October weather in London, something he always hated.

Something he always complained about.

-

The damp smell off rain, that had splattered over the pavement filled your nostrils as you was waiting for him to come pick you up for your date. You smiled when you seen the familiar car approach you. You hopped in the car greeting him with a kiss.

You could sense something was off, the car ride was extremely silent filled with nothing but tension, the slightest bit of noise coming from the radio.

"I spoke to the landlord and he said the problem with the water will be fixed by the end off the week" you said trying to break the silence and ease the tension. "I also have my job interview Monday". You had just moved to London a few days ago, you was still trying to settle within the new environment. He didn't say anything. His eyes just glued in front off him. Your laugh gathered his attention, he was so quick to apologise for zoning out completely mishearing what you said.

"Is something wrong?" you asked sincerely, you placed your hand on his thigh, you felt him instantly tense up, you instantly moved your hand. He was fast to deny anything being wrong, asking what could possibly be wrong. His actions instantly telling you different.

After dinner when you was heading to the car you tried to talk to him again, "can you please tell me what's wrong, have i done something?".

"It's nothing" he brushed you off, instantly starting to car and turning up the radio. You reached over and turned the radio down instantly he rolled his eyes at your action. "You've been off the whole night.. we've barely spoke".

Little did you know what was going to happen next would change everything, break you completely, leave behind a huge mess. Tears started pouring down your cheeks, memories instantly hitting you, It's been a year, but it still hurts you like it happened yesterday.

His next words left you utterly stunned "I can't do this anymore" He said barely above a whisper.

You searched his face, looking for a smile or any sign that he was just joking around.. but he was serious.

"I can't do this anymore, i can't stay in this relationship anymore" every single word was slowly ripping you apart. "We just aren't made for one another.." You could hear him talk, but his words weren't getting through to you, you was sat there feeling completely numb.

We aren't made for another other? After 5 years off dating, everything we'd been through. Everything you'd sacrificed. Left your dream job, moved to a different City all for him. How dare he say we aren't meant to be.

"Are you being serious? Five years Reiss and you want to say we aren't made for one another? What, it took you all these years to realise?" You cried out. "What happened to you can't wait for our future? How much you love me, was any off it even real?" He stayed silent, hurting you even more.

"I sacrificed everything for you, I left behind everything i knew, putting you and you're career first.. You wanted me to move so we could build a life together and now you want to hit me with this?" Tears running down your face.

He gently grabbed your chin, forcing you to look at him "Look at me baby, these tears will stop. I promise" He said before leaning in and kissing you one last time. It took so much self control to pull away, not to cry and beg him to stay. "I'm so sorry" he whispered. Without another word you got out his car and his life just like that. In the end it's what he wanted.

He still crosses your mind. You wished you was still together but then you remember how much damaged he caused you and how long it took the tears to stop falling. Maybe it's better this way, to leave the past and that October night behind you.