CHAPTER 1

--

--

It was a Friday evening. The sun sank lower in the sky, the light of the day draining away, and crickets chirping. The street lights clicked on, and the first star of the early night shone. The mosquitoes were out and the sharp shadow of the lamppost had faded into the dark of the sidewalk.

Here I was, reading a book in my room. The room was average squarish-sized with a wide balcony attached to the left of the window. The walls were painted Lime Green along with two paintings stuck on the walls. There was a queen-sized bed in front of me. The bed was painted Off-White with a Wisely Pink bedsheet with two Indian Yellow pillows. Two white-rounded bulbs were hanging at the center of the ceiling.

I was sitting beside my room's window on a solid wood rocking chair opposite my big caramel book rack. The evening breeze and chill of the evening gave me goosebumps on my arms. Behind me was my off-white-colored study table with three drawers towards its right.

I had, let's say, around 30+ books kept in it in an arranged manner. Well, you could somehow think that I was maybe a book nerd? Uh, I think so? I was not that obsessed with books but it surely gave me peace.

I was just about to finish the 10th chapter of my book when, "Melissa, come and have your evening snacks!" my mom shouted. I thought to ask her to give me some more minutes but I passed it knowing how strict my mother is. My mother always expects everyone to obey her instantly without any disruption, and when someone does the opposite, she becomes insanely furious. In that furiousness, she could do anything she wants, even the worst of things.

I groaned "Coming!" I reached for my bookmark which was kept on the left armrest of my chair and grabbed it. I slipped it into my book, closed it, and kept it on my chair safely. I walked, grabbed the knob of my Pecan-colored door, and pulled it open. I went down the stairs and saw my mom in the living room, watching something on the television.

The living room was beside the dining area towards the left. I glanced at the television and I could tell that she was watching a show on Netflix which she was very fond of.

She noticed me and turned her head. Even before I could utter a word, she pointed her finger towards a plate with two or three waffles in the dining area and turned her head back towards the television.

Anyway, I lifted my plate from the dining table, went up the stairs, and came back to my room. I sat on my bed, grabbed my laptop, and put my favorite show on Netflix, which was 'Friends'. I kept my plate on my lap, my laptop in the front, and played the show.

Once I was done, I picked my cleared plate up and walked down the stairs again. I walked towards the kitchen and washed it. I supposed my mom had gone back to her room and so I was alone.

As I headed back up the stairs, I heard some chattering and sounds of boxes being thrown on the floor. I was confused so I sauntered towards the doorstep and brought my ear against it. 

--

.

.

Hey Guys!!

This is my first story!

I hope you like it!