XIII. Tradition

~

I sat at the ravenclaw table with a piece of bread in one hand and a mug of hot chocolate in the other.

Luna sat beside me reading her latest addictive book.

No one tried sitting near us. You could tell they wanted too but had no courage.

I watch the room as people ate, read news papers.

I caught harry making eyes at a fellow Ravenclaw.

Cho I think.

In admiration, Harry's drink went right out and back into his mug.

I fought back laughter.

Hermione then proceeds to walk over to Harry, shoving a news paper to his face.

My nosy ass also wants to see what had gotten Hermione so stirred up in the newspaper.

I mouth to the hufflepuff behind me to pass me one of the papers. She understands what I had said and chucks me one.

Miss Granger a plain but ambitious girl seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey sources report non other than the Bulgarian bon-bon Viktor Krum.

My mood drops at the last few words.

I get up from my seat and excuse myself to Luna.

"Rune!"

I see Daphne catch up and walk beside me.

"Have you heard, Granger's got a thing for Viktor Krum." She starts. I breathe in roughly.

"What? You think she's got a chance with him?" Daphne raises an eyebrow.

"Shes everything he wants in a girl, Of course she has a chance with him"

And thats why I'm upset.

"No way, I mean shes.."

"Exactly, and don't even start with statuses. Viktor wouldn't care." I inform her. Walking away.

***

Professor Mcgonagall had seperated the girls from the boys in fourth year on each side of the assembly hall.

Everyone sat in a long row.

"The yule ball has been tradition of the triwizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representitives of the host school I expect each and everyone of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost..a dance."

Oh yet another ball I must attend to in life.

Groans rise from the boys side. The girls whisper in excitement.

The thoughts running through my head

Who must I have to reject now ~

Will he ask me to the ball~

Will my brother have a date or will I be forced to go as his plus one to avoid dating rumours ~

This is becoming like the life back home ~

"Silence. Hogwarts have commanded respect from its students for over ten centuries. I will not have you in a course of a single evening besmirching the school by behaving like a babbling bumbling band of baboons."

Ron is taken as a partner for an example. Dancing along with Professor Mcgonagall.

"Everybody come together"

I get startled as all the girls rise to their feets. The boys still seated having to have a specific invitation from The professor to stand up.

I hesistate to stand up, but still manage to get up before all the boys do.

Luna and Neville partner up. Daphe and Mattheo hesistate to get together. Honestly making me laugh.

Draco's stuck with Pansy.

Theres a group of unpartnered up boys, I watch as they look at me, pushing each other to go up to me.

But my view is blocked by a tall guy, intimidation radiating off of him.

"May I have this dance?" I look up and see its the same boy who had caught me during the pansy incident.

"Blaise Zabini." He extends out his hand. I place mine in his. And he places a kiss on the top.

"Rune Oberlin.." I say, puzzled but amused.

It's always the slytherin boys with more courage than the gryffindors.

As the music plays, Professor Mcgonagall teaches the students the steps.

After her words I instantly recognized the simple dance. Taught to me when I was about nine years old. The first ball I had to publicly join.

Fortunately my partner also knew the dance. And it was the two of us who danced non stop to the music, just enjoying each others company.

"Wonderful you two. Complete naturals." The professor compliments.

"I must ask, how do you know this dance?" I break the silence as we glide across the room.

"I join my family in attending gatherings. You'd eventually learn a few steps along the way for it." He answers. I nod understanding his story.

Relating to it a little.

I was taught dances before I even had to go to balls but I only got used to them after several occasions.

We were allowed to stop early as we had already gotten the hang of it.

I sat beside him as we watch the other fourth years struggle.

We both seemed to have been watching Neville and Luna dance awkwardly.

"Shall we help them?" I ask. Blaise looks at me and I smile. Pulling him up as we watch to the pair.

I gesture for him to take Luna and teach her.

Something about those two really hit off.

Neville seemed nervous pairing up with me but he soon relaxed and caught on the steps with ease after.

"I'm doing it! I'm actually doing it!" He enthusiastically says. I clap and curtsy. Marking my leave.

Everyone had given up by end of it.

Blaise was still teaching Luna. His eyes locked onto hers in admiration. It was a sweet heart melting sight.

Professor Mcgonagall had dismissed class. Everyone started walking out.

"Hey Rune, Could I talk to you for a bit?" Harry calls out. Once the room was nearly empty.

"Yeah?" I reply.

"I'd like to thank you."

"For what?" I chuckle slightly confused.

"Supporting me. I mean you barely even knew me yet you stayed on my side. Even when my closest friends didn't." He explains.

"What's your point? I stick to what I believe is true or right." I add.

"Well, I was also wondering if you had a date in mind for the ball? I-if not I thought maybe you could go with me?"

I chuckle.

"I wasn't even planning on going unless someone somehow persuaded me to" I laugh.

"Listen Harry, I would go with you but I have my hopes up for someone else. I hope you can understand." I add.

He nods and smiles.

"I still appreciate you for yeah.." he says.

"And I you, Harry Potter." I say before doing a curtsy and making my way out of the room. Waving goodbye.

Count starter: 1.

~