XXXIV. Fool

_

"I know you would've told them if you knew about the attack. They would've suspected an insider betrayed them."

Mattheo was right.

I realized I let myself be pulled over onto one side which isn't allowed in my family.

And now the consequences have gotten to me.

I've gotten myself into danger for being in the morally right crowd. Losing a father who only suffered because I chose to ignore our family rules of conduct.

I may have been absent for two years but I seem to be the one who has changed the most.

"Go home Rune, Someone would've seen me at the reception. My father will come rushing back here asking which girl I had taken home."

"You almost sound like a normal family." I commented, getting back up.

"The day that happens is when him and I are both-"

"Don't finish that." I say before heading up the stairs.

"Rune."

Just before I could get to the top of the stairs, Mattheo called out for me. I turned my head and waited for him to continue.

"Come visit me at the castle. My father will be sure to send me back, tell me you'll visit." He says.

A small smile tugged on the corners of my mouth.

"How could I leave you to suffer alone?" I responded, a smile appeared on his face. "I say no promises though."

"I'll drag you back there myself if I have to."

I continued to make my way back to my assigned room, finding my hooded cape and any other belongings I had.

Waiting just outside the Manor for Talo to arrive with the carriage. There had been thunder in the far distance. But before it reached Hangleton, Talo was already taking off and flying back to Bulgaria.

"How are they?" I asked as I step through my castle doors. Met with my mother in her night gowns, seemingly worried.

"They're fine. A simple spell isn't enough to keep any of my men off the ground." Romeir walked in all serious but broke character just to mess up my hair.

"Do they know you're back?" Mother asked stepping closer to Romeir and I.

"I'm not sure. Apparently they could've seen Mattheo take me away from the event. "

"Mattheo who?" Mother became curious to know.

I avoided bringing up Lady Greyl. It seemed slightly disrespectful to mention it to my mother since she chose not to say anything about her experience.

"Son of the creature who killed father."

I never did bother to wonder how my family acted when father died. It never crossed my mind since it still felt like yesterdays mistake. A mistake I'm never going to face until later on in the future when I decide to accept it.

In the back of my mind, I just figured they went through the normal five stages of grief. They may have moved on but I doubt they'll ever get over it.

"Could I go visit Romeirs friends? I admit I'm quite worried for them."

It was shocking to them that I was concerned for other people that weren't blood. Their mouths gaped open for a bit. Romeir recovering faster than our mother.

"A-at this time?" Her words seem to fumble, still surprised. "There's a snow storm brewing. When the sun appears, you are free to go. But as of now, I'm highly against it." She regains her mind.

"Rune can come along with me." Romeir says knowing our parents trust him more than me.

"Then you both shall go at sunrise." Mother says firmly.

"We're not afraid of anything nor anyone, Mother. Even death itself wasn't so frightening."

"Rune, people who have nothing to fear, have nothing to hide. You my dear, have everything to hide.

Death was kind upon you but he is no fool. You cannot escape death as much as you like. Eventually he will come to collect you and that is what I fear. " Her voice was clear and strict.

"Are you saying we're going to lose her again?" Romeir said in confusion.

"Don't be so naive, Romeir. You ought to read more books. The third brother lived to an old age and if I'm smart enough, I will too."

"The wizarding world is full of complications but don't get yourself caught up in the resolution.

The weaker side may lose but the winning side will always have to lose something greater for the advantage."

Left and right I was confronted with the  thoughts I should've known. Mother was always a chapter ahead while I'm only a page ahead.

"At sunrise it is then." Romeir says.

_Third POV_

-back at Riddle Manor-

"Mattheo."

"Father." Mattheo replied through gritted teeth. Only a slight of his anger showed but the Dark Lord could easily see right through him.

"I heard you had some company. Is she here?" Voldemort uttered.

"Who is she?" Mattheo tilted his head daringly.

"Do you think of me as a fool, Mattheo?"

"Would you prefer the honest answer?"

"You useless child!" Voldemort charged up to where Mattheo stood, the tip of his wand only centimetres away from Mattheo's forehead.

Despite the sudden movement, Mattheo never flinched. His breathing stayed calm and he didn't even blink. As if it was all normal and expected.

"Was it her?" Voldemort lowered his wand and his tone.

"You're a fool if you think that's a yes or no question." Mattheo stated, trying his best to keep a poker face on. For the sake of Rune's life.

But instead of getting angry, Voldemort stayed calm aswell. Inside he was fuming that his own offspring could be so negligent of his legacy.

"Then I'll have to make sure you're anguishing in Aurelle's death till the she rises from her grave."

Mattheo's jaw clenched. For once you could see the same evil intent his father had in his eyes. It was the only physical resemblence.

Well only after his father turned into a noseless creature.

"You'll be sent back to that wretched school. Atleast there, maybe you could make yourself useful for once in your life."

Oh how he had missed home.

_