XXXIX. Soul

Third POV
_

Mattheo got up once the pain had lessened and became more tolerable. He thanked Rune's mother as he held onto Rune's wrist.

Mrs Oberlin stayed silent but still nodded at Mattheo's words. She didn't want to look at her daughter but she wanted to see her for the remaining time she had left.

"We should head back, help the others fight this time." Mattheo suggested with hopeful eyes at Mrs Oberlin. Hoping she would help just to avoid having more injured students.

Mattheo finally chose a side once his comfort place had been invaded with the one thing he resented. His father.

Young Riddle was clever, probably one of the only students who was close to Rune's level. There was no reason for him to go to school other than escaping his predefined life.

He may have grown a little too kind but causing chaos will always be in his nature despite being on the same side of those who he had harmed.

"Is something wrong?" Mattheo looked back between the two Oberlins. "Do you have to return to your castle?" He asked.

Both woman smiled at the question. Knowing Romeir wouldn't be able to manage the place for long.

"Would you like to say goodbye to your father?" Mrs Oberlin asked wanting to grant him a favour before she leaves.

Mattheo shook his head.

"It'll be all over soon, take care of your..classmates." She added unsure if the boy considered people to be his friends.

Mattheo felt his hand sinking in its position. Lowering into where Rune's hand were meant to be. He turned around in a shaken manner.

The colour in her had faded, her body becoming transparent.

"To be truthful, I must admit that Rune has been in the castle this whole time. It was why I had stayed there for most of this time." Mrs Oberlin exclaimed.

Rune hasn't spoke so Mattheo would be distracted from her.

"What are you saying?"

"The protection we placed on Rune was disrupted when a dagger went right through her." She answered. "It grants immunity not invincibility. Only her soul lived. Rune's body is currently in a glass case under the castle. Magic runes powered her soul, it's the only reason why she seemed solid all this while." A smile appeared on her face.

Lorraine was grateful that this sort of magic existed, giving her a chance to experience more moments with her daughter. Rune became her source comfort after losing her husband.

"I supposed it is a second chance at living rather than life." She added.

Mattheo was going through all sorts of emotions, not even wanting to look at Rune to confirm his fears.

"That necklace contains the magic of the runes. Without it, I would not have gotten here in time to save you. Although it has no purpose for you now that you're healed, I hope you keep it."

"Did only my soul live too?" Mattheo asked in confusion. The magic this family had was confusing to him, he realized why they were so powerful.

Barely anyone else could understand their powers.

"You're healed, my dear. You're fully alive and well." Mrs Oberlin chuckled, a tear escaping her eyes.

A lighter laughter caught their attention, Rune was amused to see Mattheo so clueless.

"What will happen to you?" He asked.

Rune shrugged, knowing exactly what will happen. Sending a farewell smile to her mother, Rune flew through a wall and left the two in the tower.

"I'll change this to suit you better." Mrs Oberlin placed the center piece of the necklace in her hands, turning it into a compass.

Once done the favour, she walked out of the tower, leaving Mattheo in a distraught state.

He opened the compass, quickly figuring out it wasn't working correctly. Realizing its attraction, he bolted out of the tower and followed where the needle pointed.

Once the noises decreased around the castle, he realized his father was defeated. But it didn't add anything to his current set of emotions.

Out of breath as he stood in the room where the mirror of erised was. Slowly walking towards the mirror, he stood in front and watched his reflection.

Seeing his mother, Daphne and Rune.

His attachment to the girls were nothing of romance but of younger sisters. Mattheo always wanted to be able to be held in his mother's arms so it was not a surprise she was there.

Each time he visitted the mirror, only she stood there before. Now there were the other two.

Literally this time as out of the blue two ghosts had walked through the mirror, flieing through Mattheo. Messing up his hair.

There was laughter and giggles between Daphne and Rune as they see Mattheo's hair.

"Go help the others clean up, Mattheo."

Riddle deadpanned at the two.

_________

[The End]