XXXI. Owl

_

The day after, I hadn't seen Mattheo's mother. I figured he had asked her to stay away.

But I can sense her nearby, watching us from afar.

"Does your father expect you to join him tonight?" I ask Mattheo as he read through an old book.

We were sat a long dinner table at one end. He was slouched in his chair indulged in a poetry book.

"My father learned to lower his expectations when it comes to me." He says keeping his eyes in the book

I stayed quiet, looking down to the cup of tea he had made for me.

Out of the blue I hear him shut his book  before placing it down on the table and sighing.

"One question. That's all you're getting."

"What's her name?"

"That's what you want to know? You didn't ask her last night?"

I shrugged.

"Innes Greyl." He says, watching my expression closely.

I nod before taking a sip of tea. I notice him still staring with narrowed eyes.

"What?" I ask.

"Let's go." He says standing up, not bothering to wait for me.

It was nightfall and we stood at a playground waiting for the time to pass.

It was only until we saw a flying motor cycle did we realize we had no transportation arranged.

"Here." Mattheo handed me a broom.

I gave him a stank look as to why he was passing me a non magical broom.

"Aren't you able to make this thing fly?" He askes. I deadpan, snatching the broom off him.

A smirk landed on his face as I passed back the broom which was now able to fly with the help of magic.

We flew a safe distance away from the fight, high up in the air where the wind was cold and harsh. The clouds lighting up from the spells.

"So we're just going to watch?" He askes, seeming to have no problem with anything.

As I was about to open my mouth to speak, I see a falling object ahead of us.

Out of curiousity, I half-apparated turning into trail of white smoke as I flew towards the object.

As I got closer, I identified the creature. A white owl that had been struck in the fight.

I caught it before it could fall further away from me. Transforming back into human form.

Now I was the one falling a great height at a great speed.

In the near distance was Mattheo closing in, he had his arm reaching out as he flew at the brooms fastest pace.

I hugged the owl with my left hand to my torso. Reaching for Mattheo's arm as he got close.

But things didn't go so smoothly as he surpassed me and I had to grab hold of the end of the broom.

I was crying out loud in complaint for being tested of my arm strength.

"Drop the dead bird, Rune!" Mattheo yelled as he tried helping me up while trying to control the broom.

Eventually he had to fly down to the ground. I ran a couple steps as I let go of the broom, just so I wouldn't trip or fall.

"What was the plan there??" Mattheo said as he walked back up to me.

I passed him the owl. A smile tugging on my face as I looked at his expression.

"The plan was to save the owl."

"It's dead." He stated. "Specifically Potter's dead owl." Mattheo stated as he stood up in front of me.

I gave him a look which gave him enough hints to the actual plan.

"You wanted a reason to talk to harry. And now you plan to go to their whereabouts. " He sighed.

"Do you know where they are?" I asked.

"They went to the Weasley's home." He answered reluctantly. I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Look if he failed to finish the job atleast he'll know to have a better plan next time." He says talking about his father.

"And thats why you didn't tell him this?" Nothing more?" I teased as he got back on the broom. Looking at me pass his shoulder, waiting impatiently for me to get on.

"Moody died. He was struck by the killing curse. The others made it out alive but some of them are defitnetly in shit conditions." He ranted as he flew off.

"Who casted the spell?"

"I don't know but I know I feel more sympathetic towards the owl." He replied.

Once over the fields he lowered down to a dry area.

"They'll have barrier." Mattheo stated. I looked up and saw a dome like cover.

"It's not that far, c'mon." I left without another word.

Realizing I had already stepped through, I turned around to warn Mattheo. But his foot already came in contact with the barrier causing a problem I'd have to deal with soon.

"How did you get through? The barrier- Actually how did you even see it?" He askes and he looks around the area he had alarmed.

"Abilities. The spell basically means protect against the horrible, your intentions just has to be pure to get through." I answered both his questions

"Well that's it for me. And if you think I'm going to ask blood traitors to let me in-"

"I'll take the owl Mattheo. Stay here until I return." I gave him a faint smile.

Walking through the field, my shoes had gotten soaked.

As I got closer, I had seen several adults cast defensive spells at the crops.

As soon as I stepped out, I was bombarded with spells which I  deflected each time.

Exhaustion was slowly overcoming ms.

"Stop!!"

As I deflected the last few spells, I had seen a tall man with a few small scars on his face.

My deflecting hand flopping to my side.

"I've only known one witch in my life who can fight like this. And she looked exactly like you."

Must be my mother.

"How is that possible?" Another man dressed in robes spoke up.

"She's a descendant of-"

Oh merlin, My heart dropped.

"Rune? What on Earth are you doing here? Is that Hedwig?" Coming out from the house was Hagrid, fortunately he had interrupted the other man.

I passed Hedwig to him.

Fleur coming out of the house and hugging me tightly as soon as her eyes laid on me.

"Glad she's on our side." A woman with dyed hair stated as she stood besides the man who saved me.

"Oberlins don't choose sides."

He really does know my mother.

_

I had to change whoever Mattheo's mother was. But bare with me.