Chapter 16

Chapter 16:

Emily’s POV

As soon as I opened my eyes again, I was standing near a window in a very small, crowded room. Doctors, it looked like, were rushing around everywhere and most of them were standing in a circle around a rectangular object. I tried looking over the doctors’ shoulders and what I saw brought everything back to me.

It was me on the bed.

I gasped as I looked down at the clothes I was wearing. It was the flimsy pale blue hospital gown they put on you and I was barefoot. I didn’t feel cold, but the floor felt as if it was made out of ice and the air around me was not room temperature.

I don’t know why or how I can see myself in surgery right now. Maybe I’m some sort of phantom or already an angel in heaven. I tried calling out to the doctors, but I doubt they heard me. I also tried to grab hold of one as they walked past me, but they just walked right through me.

I know I’m not dead; the heart monitor can assure me of that as it keeps beeping. But I do feel dead. I feel isolated from the world around me that I’m witnessing right now. As I take one last look around the hospital room, I quickly go towards the door and exit the room.

I’m now out in the corridor. I can hear sobbing too. As my feet make pattering noises against the white tiled floor, I sprint towards the sound and reach a waiting area. It’s dim in the room and not many people are sitting in the chairs and sofas provided. But I do recognize five people sitting there with sorrow filled visage.

The sobbing is coming from my very own brother. As I near him even more, I begin to tear up as I can’t help but listen to the heart wrenching sobs that are emitting not from his mouth, but from his heart. I put a hand up to my own mouth and stare in shock at the state Niall is in. He’s pushed his face into the cushions of the sofa he’s lying on and is curled up into a little ball. I reach out to him, but fail at touching him, and he sobs even more. Tears start rolling down my cheeks as well at the state he’s in. He’s totally broken without me being alright. Who knows what would happen if he lost me. He would be like this all the time and it would be terrible. As quiet sobs escape my mouth as well, I start saying reassuring nothings to him.

“It’s going to be alright, Ni. I won’t leave you. I’ll be okay. But I want you to be okay too.” I slowly stand up from my kneeling position and notice the others who are sitting away from each other. Zayn is crying quietly to himself as he holds his head in his hands. Louis has pulled his knees up to his chest and is sobbing into them as he rocks back and forth. Liam is a quiet crier. He’s looking down at the tiled floor and tears are streaming down his face. He’s trying to be strong I see. I admire that.

I finally look over to Harry, who had just become my boyfriend a few days ago, and my heart breaks even more. He’s pacing the room with his hands clasped behind his back. He’s sobbing as he walks and his tall lanky figure is shaking as he does so. He’s also saying things to himself that I really do not want to repeat. They’re just too awful. He’s blaming himself for all of this. He’s insulting himself.

I can’t take anymore as I watch my love tear himself down. I rush out of the room in a fast walk, not looking where I am going, and actually run into something; rather someone. I fell to the cold tile floor in the corridor and wipe my eyes quickly. “Sorry, didn’t see you there.” It was a male voice with a smooth accent. I looked up to where to voice came from to see that he was holding his hand out to me. I took it and he swiftly pulled me up off of the ground. “That’s alright.” I mumbled quietly to him as I sniffed. I wiped my eyes again as I tried to get rid of the tears. I then stopped in realization. How did I actually bump into someone? Aren’t’ I a phantom of some sort? Before I could question the boy, he introduced himself.

“I’m Jack, and yes, nobody can see me either. In fact, nobody can see either of us right now. Or hear us. But sometimes they can feel us.” He said to me. This Jack boy has deep brown eyes that make him look friendly and light brown hair that looks kind of like Liam’s; with the shaved sides and thick middle. He is also barefooted and has the same hospital gown on as I. Suddenly, I felt very rude, for I had not introduced myself to him.

“I’m Emily. But why are we out of our bodies?” I questioned him confusedly. His face changed to a solemn one and he answered me without breaking eye contact. “This only happens to the comatose bodies. To the ones that get a choice, but don’t know when they get that choice. You know what I mean?” He tells me. I cock my head to the side inquiringly, “What’s the choice?” I ask slowly. He lets out a breath and looks down at the floor for a moment before looking back up at me. “To live or die.”

I did have loads more questions about this. Such as who gives us that choice, or when do they give us that choice? But Jack had grabbed onto my hand and was already pulling me down the long corridor and was talking to me at the same time. “I need you to meet the others. They’d like you.”

***********

Soooooooooo

Don’t kill me ?