Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

A Few Weeks Later

Emily's POV.

Today is my first doctors appointment since I was released from the hospital. Harry and I are driving to the hospital right now and I'm sort of nervous. I'm nervous because if Dr. Randall finds something else wrong with me, which I highly expect, I won't be able to go to Playlist Live in Washington DC this year and see all of my friends again. But if I'm healthy and there's nothing wrong with me, I'll be able to go with no problem.

So I've been sitting in the car with Harry and just sweating bullets as we get closer and closer to the clinic. Harry's hand that's placed over mine on the middle console calms me down the slightest bit, but I'm still shitting bricks over here for what there is to come.

Once Harry and I get to the clinic, we wait in the waiting room for some time due to the fact that hospitals are never on schedule. I sit in one of the plastic chairs they provide and tap my foot aimlessly against the carpeted floor. I can't stop repositioning myself and I think I'm just stressing myself out even more by doing so.

"Emily," Harry placed his hands on my shoulders and pushes me back into my chair so I'm resting against it, "just calm down. Stop overcompensating over this whole thing," his voice soothes me in the smallest way and I appreciate how he's trying to make me feel better.

"I'm just nervous s'all," I aimlessly tug on the sleeve of my jumper where my arm should be. I do this thing where I tie the sleeve of the shirt I'm wearing (if it has long sleeves) in a knot so it doesn't look like I've just pulled my arm out of my sleeve and into my shirt like a child would do if they were cold. I guess it's sort of a fashion thing now? Girls have sending me pictures of them wearing their hoodies or jumpers with get sleeves tied up and their arms in their shirts. I think it's nice and all, but I don't think it should ever become part of the fashion world.

"It's okay to be nervous," he rubs my arm away from my sleeve and slots our fingers together, kissing at the knuckles on my hand.

"Emily Horan?" I look up to see a nurse in purple scrubs holding a clip board and smiling over at me. Harry and I stand up and make our way over to her and follow her to a room.

"The doctor will be with you shortly, he's just finishing up with his last patient," the nurse smiles before leaving the small room and shutting the door behind her with a click.

The whole room makes my throat feel dry. It brings back the memories of when I was a child and mum and pa took me to a clinic much like this one because I wasn't feeling the best. That's when I discovered I had cancer and they took me to the hospital in an ambulance and started chemo therapy immediately. I remember crying a lot and the blurry images of my parents at my bedside and holding my hands. They kept telling me it was going to be okay and that I would feel better soon.

I sigh deeply and slouch in my chair. I need to stop recalling these memories before I start crying. I really miss my parents. I wish they were here with me now. They always knew how to make things better.

Suddenly, I hear the door opening and smile at the sight of my doctor. He's been my doctor ever since I moved with Niall to our shared flat for a long period of time after our parents passed. He's sort of my therapist as well, it's a long story.

"Hello Emily, it's lovely to see you," he greeted me with a small wave and went over to Harry and shook his hand.

Another nurse walked in after Dr. Randall and was wheeling a cart with lots of needles on it. Oh joy. Can you tell that needles aren't my favorite things in the world?

"I know these needles look intimidating, but all we need to do is take a blood test and go over to the CAT scan to check and make sure that you don't have any active cancer cells in your body, which you shouldn't," I try not to show how nervous I am, but I think he catches the worried look that briefly comes across my face, "Don't worry Emily, there's nothing to worry about."