3| The City That Never Sleeps

NIA

New York City.

The city that never sleeps.

I bit the inside of my ripe red apple that I got from the gift shop, waiting for my luggage. I grabbed my black Walmart suitcase that consists of nothing but hoodies and sweatpants and some undergarments.

I sighed, looking for my ride, I felt a tap on my shoulder I looked behind me, "Are you Nia, Nia Carter." A guy with a black suit and a white tie says. He sounds Italian, I love me a good accent.

I crossed my arms looking him up and down, "If I say yes, will you kidnap me?" I questioned. "No." He said with a stern look on his face.

"Then yes, that's my name." I answer not enthused.

"My name is Matteo, I am your father's personal driver-"

"Father? He lost that title when he left me and mom thirteen years ago." I cut him off.

He cleared his throat, "Alright."

"Your fath- Greg, told me to pick you up." He explained.

I sighed and grabbed the handle on my suitcase, "Are we going to stand here all day or are we going to get a move on. I have major leg cramps." I say as I pulled down my sunglasses to cover my eyes.

"Right this way, Ms. Carter."

XX X XX X

"Miss please get up we have arrived," Matteo said. As I looked around I saw that this wasn't an ordinary house. This was a fucking mansion!

Matteo led me up to the front door and knocked. Doesn't he have a key?

The door opened and this old hag was standing in front of me. She had blonde hair that was slightly graying. Her skin was tan, but not to the point where she looked like an Oompa Loompa. That would be a sight to see though.

When I finally looked in her blue dull eyes I instantly hated her.

She held out her hand waiting for me to shake it, "Hello Nia I'm your stepmom Veronica, it's a pleasure to meet you." She greeted me with a smile fake as the botox on her cheeks.

I put on a fake smile, "I can't say the same." I say walking past her held out hand.

She gasped by what I had just said to her. I guess she's used to everyone just automatically loving her.

Well, news flash I'm not everyone.

I walked inside the house dropping my bag. Looking at the house, I'm not gonna lie it is pretty nice, the decor is fucking nice.

I turned around facing Mrs. wanna be Kylie Jenner, "Where is the deadbeat at?" I questioned.

"Right here." Said a deep gruff voice. It sent shivers down my spine I haven't seen my dad in thirteen years I don't even remember him.

To my right stood a man at least six feet tall with brown hair that is gelled down to the core and identical green eyes like mine.

"Nia, my baby girl is all grown up." He said proudly holding his arm opened as if gesturing me to hug him.

As if.

I walked up to him with a smile on my face, I lifted up my arms and smacked him across his wrinkly face. Mrs. Botox rushed over to him, grabbing his face.

He pushed her off him, "I deserved that." He sighed.

"You know what else you deserve a kick in the balls as well." I spat.

I looked at him disgusted. "Where's my room?" He looked sad, but I show no ounce of remorse.

"Upstairs first door to your left." he replied dejectedly. When I marched up the stairs I heard the tramp talking to my father about me.

"You should really teach your daughter some respect! I mean who does she think she is just sauntering in here like she owns the place?" She complained.

Fuck off.

Ignoring Veronica's rants about me I walked into my room and took a swift glance around. This is really nice. I have my own walk-in bathroom and closet. Along with a white vintage vanity.

I pulled out my phone going to call my mom then I realized it died while I was on the plane. I let out a sigh. I hate this, I this so much.

I started to scream in my head, If he thinks I'm going to give him a second chance, think again!

There was a knock on my door a little while later. "Miss dinner is ready. Veronica and Greg are waiting for you." Matteo announced.

"I thought you were just Greg's personal driver?" I asked with a slight frown. "I'm also a chef and I help clean around the house." He replied back with his Italian accent.

A small smile spread across my face, his accent!!!

"So you're a butler." I stated. "Yes, in a way I am." He answered. "Alright, but I'm not hungry so thanks for the offer." I replied kindly. "I'm rather tired, I think I'm going to head to bed." I yawned.

"Have a good night, Nia." Matteo said closing the door behind him. I started to take my scrunchie out of my hair when Matteo opened the door again, "I almost forgot." He says, holding up a... uniform?

"You're starting school tomorrow and you have to wear this uniform."

I stood up walking towards him I grabbed the hideous attire out of his hands, Now that I get a good look at him he is pretty cute. But then again he's like thirty so I have no chance.

"Oh my God, I just got kicked out of one, now I have to go back." I fake gagged.

"Goodnight Miss." He said with a smile and closed the door behind him.

I walked to the mirror in the corner of my room and took off my clothes trying the uniform on. Okay now that I try it on it was kinda cute, The colors were black and white. It was a black skirt that stopped in the middle of my thigh and a white blouse with a black tie.

It even came with a pair of black heels, which I'm certainly not wearing.

I laid flat on my plush king-sized bed looking at the ceiling fan go, round and round.

I hope there is no pain in the asses there.

X XX X XX