28: Girlfriend

SCARLETT's POV

I was playing with Rose in the garden when the doorbell rang Lottie was in the house so I'm hoping she answered it, she was making us lunch. We had been to the arcade this morning and we're going to the cinema this afternoon. And tomorrow Lottie is taking Rose swimming whilst I go to a meeting. I'm picking them up and we're going shopping before heading to a show Lottie got us tickets for. I was glad Lottie said she'd take Rose swimming. I hated getting my lower back out because of the scar but I hated letting down my daughter too. Having a girlfriend that's as amazing as mine means I don't have to do either.

"Who was at the door?" I asked when she came out with a tray of food for us. "Package. I signed for it but left it on the counter." "For me?" I asked confused, I hadn't ordered anything and things from companies always gets sent to my PO box. "Yeah." She says focusing on helping Rose peel her orange. She's managed to work her magic and get Rose to actually eat fruit and vegetables without a fight. She's like a magical goddess that was sent to me.

We ate lunch and I took the dishes inside to wash. We still do the one person makes the food the others cleans up. It worked for us and kept arguments about cleaning up to a minimum. She wasn't living with me but we'd eat most meals together and she was here whenever we weren't on a press tour. She'd stay until 2 and then go back to Roberts place. Rose would ask for her in the morning and I'd tell her she'd be over soon. Rose got tired of waiting and would sneak my phone to call her and ask her to come over. She'd be dramatic about my horrid breakfast I had made her and Lottie would come over to fix it.

I could cook. Lottie just did breakfast better than me. Rose prefered it. And what Rose wants Rose seemingly gets. She wasn't spoilt and if I told her no she wouldn't kick up much of a fuss. I washed the dishes and tidied the kitchen up before picking up the brown box that had my name and address on it handwritten. I frowned but opened it anyway.

It was a medium-sized black velvet box with a handwritten note.

I picked up the note to try and work out who it was from.

Dear My Darling Scarlett,

The fact that you are reading this now means I have left the world to be with my family. It means that my little Charlotte is all grown up and strong enough to handle this world without me. But I need to ask you, please be her strength when she grows tired, protects her, loves her, support her and encourage her to keep fighting for what she wants out of life.

I am writing to you the day after Vanessa visited Charlotte at Christmas. Seeing you with her made me realise a few things. One I judged you too soon. I'm sorry for that and I will forever be. Two you make her feel safe, safer than she's felt since her brother passed, that's special Scarlett. And Three you love her. You may not know it just yet, but you love her. And I believe you will be with her till the end. Thank you for taking care of her. Thank you for letting her take care of you.

So I'm writing this to you in hopes I am not wrong.

Inside you'll find Charlotte's grandmothers ring. It has been in our family for generations and every marriage that has been started with this ring has lasted till death do us part even long after. So if you are the person that loves her unconditionally, forever. Then I ask you to use this ring to start your forever with her.

Scarlett, you have made my daughter happier than she's been for a while and that is the only thing I care about so I give you my blessing for when the time is right. Don't rush, don't give up, just love her and I know she'll love you back with all she is. She's a special young girl Scarlett, my hope is you see that before her heart gets broken too much to let you in. I hope she sees you are the one before she can't let anyone else in.