Chapter Thirty-Four

Aravena

Aravena

A sudden splash of freezing cold water made me jolt awake.

Bleary eyes opened to the world of blurry darkness as a shockwave of sizzling pain traveled through my body.

A groan escaped my lips and I moved around only to hear the clanging of metal.

A fat iron chain was wrapped around my waist and twisted over the length of my arms, pinning me to the hard, cold wall.

"Everything good, your Majesty?" a deep baritone voice prickled my ears.

I scrunched my nose, speaking in a groggy voice, "Louder, please."

A soft chuckle rang in my ears, making me frown at the dark silhouette before me.

"What's so amusing, Donnovan?"

The tall shadow shook his head and leaned forward.

"You."

His stale cigar breath mingled with the rusty smell of blood hit my nostrils hard.

Stink-Breath!

"Good to know. So, tell me why am I not dead yet?" I raised my left brow, suppressing a wince.

My vision heightened gradually and I could see him smirk.

"Because..." he drawled. "I need my betrothed safe and sound."

Betrothed...

"Safe and sound, huh?" I tugged at the chain, making the metal clang.

"Ah, these little things!" He offered a sweet smile. "These are just a necessary precaution, my dear. Do not worry."

Right.

"I'd like to meet my healer then."

He still wore that sugary smile. "Why, Aravena?"

"Let me see the legend who saved a fatally injured blue-blood, Donnovan."

Because only an expert healer with the knowledge and power of a blue-blood could heal their kin. That meant someone from Ravendale's royal line and Grandfather was out of the question.

Then who?

Donnovan chuckled. "There's no one but you who healed yourself, Darling. Your sweet blue blood saved you."

And, he wanted a taste of it. That made me wonder...

"Did you not drink my blood when I was passed out?" I tilted my head to the right.

His seafoam eyes gleamed brighter for a second. Lips curled up into a crooked smirk.

"Did you want me to, my dear?"

I narrowed my eyes. His voice husked when he chuckled.

"Don't worry. I know how to resist..." His cold fingers trailed down my slick, sweaty cheek. "Temptation."