Chapter Nine

NathanielI

Nathaniel
I

've been pacing back and forth for the last two hours.

The sun went down the horizon long ago and now the moon was gracing the sky. Stars glittered in the inky black heaven, lightening up the world along with the luminous white queen.

The night reminded me of darkness and a certain dark angel.

I sighed as her sparkling sapphires haunted my mind again.

She had been doing this since the first moment I had seen her. The memory of her smooth, lustrous voice had whirled my senses more than once and I had yet to find the logic of this sudden attraction toward her.

I was hopeless.

For once, it seemed she had bewitched me with her music. But then, I laughed at my silly notion. I was only a human commoner and she... Well, I didn't know who or what she was but that woman didn't need to lure a low man like me.

Although, I wondered what was her kind. She couldn't just be a human, no. Her grace rivaled the royal.

Unless she was the queen herself.

But too many factors contradicted that theory.

She had traces of tears when I met her. The Queen we knew never cried.

She had used a knife in self-defense. Queen would have killed me instead.

But her presence there alone was confusing. Not to mention, the way she played that violin with practiced ease...

Maybe, she was a wolf. Ravendale did shelter many of them in the Southern Mountain, after all.

But why was she crying?

Wait. Why did I even care?

I groaned, fisting my wind-swept hair.

The roar of the Aswalan Sea couldn't suppress the noise of chaos in my mind.

That woman was messing with me and she wasn't even here.

A swift, salty breeze carried the familiar lavender essence toward me and I stiffened.