Chapter Forty-One

Aravena

Aravena

The sky was quite gray this morning. Dull clouds covered the ray of the sun. Thick fog engulfed nature in a cold embrace. Even wind howled loud, making my dark curls and dark blue gown flutter.

My crimson nails dug into the rough edge of the stony banister of the open balcony.

It seemed as though a storm was about to arrive.

I shivered as a gust of wind brushed past my thin-sleeved, velvet arms. My gaze traveled far on the vast empty green field ahead of me.

Soon people would crowd this place. The wind would carry their heavy voices. The palace would again witness the gathering before a war.

War.

This was truly a war...

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. A sheer attempt to calm my racing heart.

I licked my dry lips, gulping down a dry lump as the invisible pressure sat heavy in my heart.

This was the war- No, not just a war.

This was thousands of people's lives, their entire future that rested upon me.

Most importantly, Ravendale's fate.

My hands fisted tight as I bent over the balcony. My eyes remained close shut.

Grandfather... Oh, how I wished you had been here with me now. I needed your guidance. I needed you.

How would I protect my people?

How could I save Ravendale from Donnovan's grasp?

How should I fight my blood, my sister!

I flinched when a warm hand rested on my shoulder.

My eyes snapped open as the familiar earthy scent struck my nostrils.

I didn't turn around. There was no need anyway. I knew who came to my rescue.

"Yes, Valendard?" I stood straighter, looking ahead.

"What's tormenting you?" his deep, throaty voice made me turn stiff in seconds.

I took my time before speaking.

"Whatever do you mean?"

Valendard only whisked me around in response. With my back pressing against the stony banister and his hands resting on my arms, I had no other way but to face him.

So, that was what I did.

"Seraphina..." I looked up at his mesmerizing bright emerald pools as a soft breeze ruffled his silky dark brown hair. "She truly is my sister."

Valendard froze on the very second. His eyes turned wide as they roamed over my face.

"What?"

I could only hum in response to his dazed whisper.