Chapter Forty-Five

Warning: This chapter contains graphic description of violence

Warning: This chapter contains graphic description of violence. Reader's discretion advised.

Aravena

The world seemed to mourn tonight as the sky screamed in intense agony.

At least, that was what the rough downpour, wild wind, and deafening thunderbolts suggested at this moment.

The metal chainmail dug the sides of my head as I allowed my tired eyes to move around.

This darned headache would kill me if Donnovan didn't already!

With a soft sigh, I grabbed the fancy tin can on my head and threw it away in the faraway corner.

And, I had been judging Seraphina for not wearing one!

The lonely chainmail rolled on the thick coat of murky brown mud a couple of times.

I smirked when the expensive part of the heirloom was stuck deep into a stray hole on the wet war ground.

This was what happened when people prioritized lifeless property over living humanity. Fancy showoffs always rolled off the floor in one way or another.

Father did the same with his family. He nurtured his shiny armors more than his loved ones.

The result?

My cold eyes roamed over those thousand breathing statues afar as I brushed off a stray wet hair from my face. I tightened my already tangled hightail updo, searching for a familiar pair of red eyes, brown matte hair, and a blue umbrella.

Where was she? Where wa- Ah! There was my lovely twin.

I smirked wider as I saw her squirming between two hot-blooded, black-armored Ravendale warriors. Valendard was standing a good few feet away from her. His blazing green eyes were burning me alive. Jaw clenched hard. And, those slick water drops sliding down his chin...

Focus. Focus, Aravena.

I suppressed a deep breath and forced myself to look at a stiff Salvadore. He was breathing down on my husband's neck as he stood guard right behind him.

On the far right, I could see all of my allies among thousands of enemies.

Margherita and Trinch Sisters beside snake people.

Alpha Fervon and Beta Deris with wingless fae army.

And, King Heatherdon of Reginod was accompanying a small group of bloodsuckers.

Our spymaster and his team were missing, though.

Must have been busy in their secret service.