Chapter Twenty-Three

Aravena

Aravena

I was walking through the dark hallway. Dreary moonless night graced the outside of those big windows on my right. Not even stars bothered to twinkle their way tonight. Darkness as such somehow made me feel a dull ache in my heart. There was this longing, this insatiable urge to lift this sudden heavy boulder in my heart.

For what, I didn't know. Perhaps, it was just the effect of such a serene nature.

A soft sigh escaped my lips as the night breeze ruffled the strands of my dark curls.

The sweet scent of jasmine teased my nostrils as I pondered over these useless midnight thoughts. I couldn't help it, though.

It had been a long few weeks with a buzzing workload, left and right. Such mindless thoughts served as a great distraction for my busy head. However, this was not the right solution to my problems.

A good night's sleep would be the perfect remedy for this.

I turned to a lit corner of the hallway.

Soft yellow hue of candelabra on the wall lightened up the path when I heard the rushed murmur of words.

A frown marred my features as I noticed two tall silhouettes huddled in the darkest corner of the hallway afar.

As I took silent steps toward those oblivious shadows, mumbled whispers soon turned into coherent words.

"How do we get him back now?" A male voice rasped.

"We shouldn't have let him out," another voice groaned. His was a thick baritone.

"Like he would have listened to us." A raspy voice scoffed as he crossed his arms.

"Argh! Queen will have our head if she knows-"

"Knows what?"

Both men flinched simultaneously as they turned to me.

Sweat glazed over their faces as one of them gulped and the other lowered his shaky head in a hasty bow. He nudged his friend in the elbow, making him hiss and bow low as well.

I raised my brows at them.

The raspy-voiced guard cleared his throat and lowered his eyes.

"Uh, your Majesty," He eyed his friend once who clenched his jaw and gave a firm nod. "Lo-Lord Galvin is not in his r-room."

A dull ache of constricting pain squeezed my inside and left me breathless in an instant.