Chapter Eight

Aravena

Aravena

Tweeting birds chirped outside as soft morning light flushed through the open, arched window on my front.

"More milk, your Majesty?" A petite maid bowed, holding a jug of warm milk in hand.

I raised my hands in response and she placed the silver jug on the dining table. Milk sloshed and a few drops dampened the red tablecloth.

"A-Apology, your Majesty!" Maid hastened to wipe the table, glancing at my stare at the drops.

I hid a sigh and focused on my plateful of omelets and buttered toasts.

However, my mind raced back to the events of last night.

To a certain green-eyed mystery. Nathaniel Valendard. 

I retraced his thick brows, slightly crooked long nose, sharp jaw graced with stubble, and those full lips with a mole in my mind. He was an enticing man, I admit. 

He waltz into my life when I was the most vulnerable and instead of taking advantage of that situation, he made me laugh with his mindless assumptions. 

Gunderson had appointed a terrible spy in disguise. 

A thin smile graced my lips as I took a spoonful of egg and chewed on the morsel. 

Although, that made my job easier. As long as he didn't know who I was, making him spill information about his true intention was just a matter of moments. However, he might as well have learned about my true nature by now. 

Oh, the joy of endless possibilities! 

I sighed as I fiddled with the spoon. My thought wandered towards Grandfather. 

The quirky High King hadn't summoned me for a visit yet. So, I was planning to meet him after breakfast. 

I wondered what twisted wager awaited me tod— 

A sharp jolt inside my chest froze my cluttering spoon. 

The worst, that squeezing pain wasn't my own.