Chapter Forty-Four

Aravena

Aravena

"A cursed night. A careless mistake. A cruel conspiracy. And what's the result? Endless suffering and misery for life!"

Seraphina scoffed and clicked her tongue.

I bit my lips hard as tears leaked through my closed eyes.

Moments of that night, that eventful sham of a coronation flashed in my mind in vivid colors.

Damn! When did I become such an emotional mess?

I clenched my jaw and forced out a harsh breath. My eyes snapped open to the dark world.

Only the cavern opening wasn't so dark as of now.

A soft golden glow lightened up my skin, making me feel as though I was a burning candle.

Wait. Burning candle.

Golden glow.

Aura!

My breath hitched.

"M-My aura..."

"Yes, Aravena."

My head snapped up to my left where Seraphina sat hugging her knees. A somber look graced her features as she stared afar.

"It's back. All of it," her voice was dry and scratchy.

That meant-

"They know. Everything."

A sudden sense of weightlessness washed over me. It was as though a heavy burden had been lifted off my shoulders that was sitting there for years.

A burden of dark past and gruesome memories.

A sigh escaped my lips as I slowly absorbed the new reality.

So, I finally regained my whole aura. But why golden? Why not white as usual?

"That is the result of absorbing other people's essence for so long."

I frowned as I looked at her. "Do you read minds now?"

Seraphina only smirked. "Twin bond."

I couldn't help but chuckle at her silly jester.

"Ah, what a pleasure to know new wonders of twin bonds! Shame I could not feel it earlier."

Seraphina smiled softly and for some reason, her eyes twinkled in an innocent gleam this time as well.

"It's just common sense, Aravena. You had a hard frown on your face when you were looking at your glowing body."

A smile I didn't know I had was gone the moment her simple words struck my mind hard.

It was an easy retort. An expected response of a witty line. However, there was something special. Something that reminded me of Arnold and me. Something that I had been yarning for so long.