Chapter Eighteen

Aravena

Aravena

This was utter chaos!

The whole palace was burning.
These polished walls were an ugly shade of black and gray. Fire lingered on the corners of every pillar and floor. Dark and heavy smoke swirled around me as I was running through the ruined hallways. A frantic mess myself.

Cold red blood was drying up on my maroon gown. My hands and legs were sticky and colored with the same substance. The image of my mother's mangled corpse made fresh tears slide down my cheeks.

I sniffed, wiping the warm trail of water and sweat off my face.

This was all my fault!

What had I done!

Why I had to-

I choked out. I couldn't even finish the thought. An endless stream of tears ran down my face and I kept running, moving my legs despite the urge to stop and let this disaster wash over me.

But I had a job to finish.

I did a futile attempt to wipe my face clean again. Sizzling fire burned around me as I was about to reach the final corner of the fifth-floor staircase hallway.

A shrill cry broke throughout the palace, making me halt on my step for a second. I rushed to the next hallway.

The smoke wasn't so heavy here. Only some scattered, hot red pillars and sharp glasses of broken windows were lying on the floor.

The scene ahead of me was far more brutal than the death itself.

Alva was lying limp on the right, near a broken black window. Her body was bent at an odd angle on the floor.

My heart jumped seeing her half-melted red face staring back at me with a glazed look. Her legs were nothing but burning logs with fire licking every inch of her skin. The rest of her body was buried under the weight of a bright red pillar weighing a ton.