Chapter Forty-Three

Aravena

Aravena

White heels dug into the soft golden carpet with each deliberate step.

My eyes remained firmly on the smooth creases of my fluffy, royal blue gown. Gloved white fingers itched to fix the tight, silver belt on my waist.

Each intake of breath felt like harsh labor in this diamond-indented, square-necked, velvet corset. I could not even wipe the hot trail of trickling sweat down the sides of my white, full-sleeved arms. One could even spot a thin darkened wet trail on my clingy back if they looked with careful eyes.

But what made my skin prickle was the heated gaze of thousand beady eyes around me.

Harsh, low murmurs occupied me all the way ever since I stepped inside the throne room.

I gulped and dared to take a peek around the chamber.

It still baffled me how Father used to occupy this place for the most time of his stay in the palace.

A thick lump formed in my throat as the image of his mangled, burnt corpse once again infiltrated my mind.

No. I would not think about that night today.

I forced myself to stare ahead.

My gaze on the white throne after that rested on the top of the curved gray stairs.

The golden glow flickered on the shiny surface of the throne, making it glitter as the morning light played with it.

This was going to be my throne after today.

Also, the responsibility of the entire kingdom.

The thought caused a shiver to thrum through my skin.

Was it too late to turn around and run away?

My eyes fell upon a smiling Grandfather who was standing on my left, beside the staircase.

But Grandfather did not expect a coward to hold the reign of Ravendale.

I clenched my jaw and took the first step on the elevated gray ground.

And I would certainly prove him right!

With that thought, I reached the top and faced the crowd.

Soft breeze brushed my ringlets as my long, puffed-up black braids tickled my back.

I let my eyes roam around the room for one last time.

People of different classes and ages had gathered today for my coronation. They stood on both sides of the wide carpet, filling the rest of the chamber to the brim.