Chapter Seventeen

Aravena

Aravena

"I believe this is it, lord Caravan, Rafael."

I offered them a tight smile, putting the petition letter down on the study table.

Thousand other lords had signed the paper requesting a reconsideration about public feedback issue. Apparently, it was hard for them to accept the new parliamentary rule.

After all, monarchy of this realm had never seen commoners involve in political matters before. According to this condition, lords had to report a monthly public response about their lords' governing system—honest and unfiltered.

This was to show people of Ravendale that Arthur Beverdon's era was truly over. Queen Aravena was not a puppet for these greedy lords and their malpracticed traditions unlike King Arthur.

"Even so, it is my request that think about–”

"Lord Caravan, you must have been tired. Resalas is a long journey." I leaned my elbow on the table, watch father and son share glances from their seats ahead.

Rafael cleared his throat. "Pardon me, your Majesty–"

"Why don't you sit down for a while, lord Caravan?" I smiled at Caravan as Rafael's jaw clenched, "Have some refreshments. Work can wait a little longer."

Despite the obvious discomfort, they seemed baffled by the sudden offer of my hospitality. I wasn't known to be so... inviting, after all.

Lord Caravan pressed his lips tight. "It was generous of you to offer, your Majesty. However, an important matter needs my immediate attention so-"

Just then, the wooden door of the room cracked open, and there came the lady Selene—my final pawn of my game. Behind her loomed a tall, muscular, and brooding silver-armored bodyguard, following her steps.

"My humblest apology for the interruption, but I thought I hea–" A dramatic gasp left her dark red lips. "Oh my! Uncle Caravan and brother Rafael. You are here!"

The bottom black lace of her flimsy red gown trailed on the floor as lady Selene swayed her hips to her relatives.

Valendard, however, froze at the entrance. His green eyes widened and narrowed as he heard about the visitors.