Chapter Forty

Aravena

Aravena

Headache. Pounding headache.

That was what I felt when my eyes opened to the blurry world.

My whole body was sore when I tried to look around. Limbs felt as heavy as a lead as I attempted to move.

A strangled groan escaped my lips, making me touch my throbbing warm head.

"Silver? You're awake!" a familiar rough hand kissed my palm.

I fought through the searing hot pain in my body and tried to focus on the blurry silhouette of a man hovering over me.

It took a while but my vision gradually cleared up, making me meet a glossy pair of dull green eyes.

A lone tear trickled down his chiseled cheeks.

"Hey." Lips trembled as he offered me a soft smile.

I tried to smile back but grimaced instead when my head throbbed a little harder.

I touched my slick, sweaty neck as my throat felt dry.

"W-Water..." my voice was hoarse, making me clear my throat.

Valendard nodded and took a silver chalice from a table near the bed.

His other hand slipped behind my head and he helped me lift my head just enough to drink soothing, cold water.

I gulped down the whole liquid in one run and sighed.

Valendard wiped my mouth with the back of his hand and made me lie down on the white pillow.

I breathed in the cool air and finally got the chance to take in my surroundings.

I was in my bedchamber. Valendard sat on the bed beside me. Warm orange hue of sunlight made his face glow as his bright green eyes stared down at me. Concern and relief both swirled in those emerald pools.

Was it morning or afternoon?

"What... Time?" I could barely speak without straining my throat.

It still hurt.

How hard did Donnovan bite me!

"A little before noon. You've been out for three days."

Three days...

"What happened?" I tilted my head to the side.

Valendard sighed.

"One of the guards noticed a broken window on the fifth floor. I found him on my way to dinner. We rushed to inform you when I heard your scream and we reached your chamber and..."