Chapter Thirty-Eight

Aravena

Aravena

A huff escaped my lips when I reached
the top of the rickety, old stairs.

Stale dust flew around me as the stifling odor of cobwebs, dead rats and rusty metal struck my nostrils.

I pushed my way through the darkness, stepping over smelly rugs and scattered pieces of old, slippery paper.

My heart jumped when some owl hooted from somewhere outside. I took in a deep breath and wiped slick sweat and tear stains off my face.

I stepped ahead and soon found moss-covered, dark gray wooden double doors.

My chest felt heavy as dark memories tried to consume me all over again.

A soft whimper escaped my lips. Warm tears soaked my already damp cheek anew. I gulped and forced my shaky hands to twist the rusty brown knobs.

Old woods screeched loudly, making me flinch at the noise.

I took a tentative step outside and took in the sight.

Cold night breeze bit my exposed arms as my frenzy curls slapped my face, making me briskly brush them behind my ears and fail.

The curved white concrete ahead of me had patches of dark spots.

Burn marks...

Broken bricks and gray stones lay rested on the floor as the remaining proof of a once majestic balcony.

The warm glow of the white full moon made it far easier for me to see the damage this palace had endured.

The damage I had caused.

I stepped ahead. Slow yet steady with a purpose

Lungs squeezed hard, making me gasp for air as tears blurred my vision once again.

It hurt.

Memories hurt.

So. Damn. Much!

I moaned and clutched my burning chest. Dark green corset constricted my breath further.

Brown ballet flats staggered as they dragged this body of mine forward. Only to stumble upon a stray red brick and collapse before the bumpy gray edge.

I grabbed the rough edge with both hands and bent over my stomach.

It was getting harder and harder to breathe when random images flashed before my eyes.

Warm grin of Brother.

Cold sneer of Mother.

Somber indifference of Father.