Chapter Fifteen

Aravena"

Aravena
"

My ears are bleeding!" Grandfather grumbled, pointing at the heated argument in the name of debate.

"Just a few more minutes. We are about to cross the two hour milestone." I smirked as he slumped against his throne.

The debate between the lords was somewhat energy-lifting after the almost dull question-and-answer round.

These lords and lord candidates were trying to prove whether recent cultural development would affect the kingdom's heritage in any way or not.

The lords argued that Ravendale's rich heritage did not depend on cultural development. 

The candidates, however, tried their best to emphasize the importance of cultural development for the kingdom's heritage. 

According to them, people themselves developed throughout their lives so cultural development was but a demand of time. Even though it wasn't noticeable, every kingdom's heritage of the world had evolved through several changes for centuries. Ravendale had changed as well through cultural development, albeit, it was a slow process. 

The lengthy debate was running for two hours now. Grandfather was obviously getting tired. I had told him to leave early during our refreshment hour. But when did that stubborn, old king listen to me?

The blaring noise of the trumpet tore through the stadium at that moment.

Our attention snapped back to the middle of the stadium field where the judge, Lord Fonjin, stood, facing the heated crowd of competitors.

The old man was a human friend of my grandfather and had been keeping a strong hold on almost two hundred towns of Ravendale alone. His wrinkly old face, fragile stature, and short height should never fool one about that power in his rigid stance, strong posture, and cold voice.

"This has been a good debate, lords, and candidates. You have tried to emphasize your points thoroughly. While we know a simple debate is not enough to determine your qualification for this respected position, we hope to see you work hard and fair to develop the kingdom we love." His face was solemn but his sharp brown eyes assessed the crowd with a piercing gaze.