Chapter Seven

Nathaniel

Nathaniel

There were forty cracks in that lifeless, gray ceiling. 

I sighed, staring up at the height as my body was plastered against the bed for the last few hours. I had nothing to do, nowhere to go, and that mysterious companion of mine was sleeping his daylights away.

My stomach grumbled, reminding me that I was hungry. But I couldn't go out to find the kitchen until night. Puffing out a breath, I sat up and stared at the thread pattern woven into the brown blanket. 

Moonlight glistened on the intricately sewn swirls of golden lilies. I grazed my fingers on the soft velvet when my stomach growled again. 

Damn! Wasn't it midnight already? 

After a couple of minutes of sulking, I decided to suck it up and leave on my own. 

Just as I was about to stand up I noticed the stirring on the other bed.

"Finally, the sleeping prince is awake," I muttered under my breath.

I saw him stretching his limbs and yawning before he took his sweet time to wake up to the bright and shiny world. I didn't know why but his relaxed state irked me. I wasn't a hateful person but tonight I found myself disliking him for no reason.

I cleared my throat making him snap his head back to me. What he said next was beyond my imagination of our first conversation.

"What kind of ghost are you!" he half-screamed, half-talked.

I smirked. 

"The kinky kind."

He and his scrunched button nose gave me that incredulous look I was waiting for. "You sure your head screwed right?"

I crossed my arms. "Very much, Sir. Though, not sure about you. The way you screamed, you might have woken up half of the palace already."

He sighed. "Great! Now, I have to deal with a short brain."