Chapter Thirty-Seven

Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Life was unpredictable. One moment we would laugh, forgetting the agony of the past. Next, we had to cry, longing for the happier moments of our lives and dwelling in the dark alleyways of what-ifs.

I sighed, walking through the empty hallways.

Dark sky screamed and cried hard outside. Flimsy white curtains fluttered in the wild wind. Soft yellow glow of candles flickered each time blinding white thunderbolts would strike.

I crossed the final corner of another lonely hallway before standing in front of the familiar wooden doors.

Three months.

It had been three months since the never-ending gloomy darkness cloaked the air of Ravendale. 

Grandfather had taken all our happiness with him to his grave.

The doors screeched loud when I pushed them with my shoulder, balancing the silver-lidded tray on my hands.

Dreary darkness and lingering gloom greeted me as I stepped inside the room.

Lightning flickered for a few seconds, making me look at the blue lotus on the floor.

I closed the door and stepped forward. 

My heart searched for that other beat inside me that I had become quite familiar in these last few months.

None. Nothing. 

My heart jumped and my hands became clammy at the very thought of her being...

I gulped.

Silver had been so unstable these days. No one knew what she would do the next second.

She used to remain frozen for the first few days. It began from the very moment we realized that Lord Galvin was no longer with us.

Silver attended his funeral like a living dead herself. 

Not speaking. 

Not eating. 

Not even breathing for a while.

It took Darla to literally shake some senses into her when Silver responded with tears.

Her very first reaction.

Another lightning flickered in the dark room, making me sigh and step forward.

For a whole month, she remained confined in this room and screamed.

Loud and hard. Day and night. 

And threw up everything she ate, even water.

I gulped another dry lump as my nostrils flared with a burn at the memory.

She even refused to see me or anyone else—all except for Darla.

But there was only so much patience I could have. So, whenever Silver's screams would start tearing at my soul, I would walk up to her and press her tight against my chest.