Chapter Two

Aravena

Aravena

A round of gasps echoed around the moment I stood before this grand kitchen door.

In a brown maid dress, no less.

Thousands of eyes pricked my skin as they assessed my plain brown gown.

I clenched my jaw hard. 

Was it so hard to imagine their classy queen gracing the kitchen floor for once?

Curse my weakness toward the old, manipulative High King!

I glanced at the three royal chefs and found them frozen on their spots near their stations. 

As I cleared my throat, they all flinched back to reality. With one wave of my hand, they rushed out of the kitchen as though it was on fire. 

When the last maid left, closing the door, I let out a deep breath.

"Great. Now, let's get this over with," I muttered while rubbing my hands.

I gathered my thick, wild curls and pulled them up in a tight messy bun. 

With a sigh, I moved a stray twisted tendril off my face and looked around. 

The kitchen was humongous, with high ceilings and wide walls. Three long marble stations with overhead wooden cabinets occupied the three sides of the room.

There was a door on the left that was the storage chamber for vegetables, spices, and such. Another door parallel to that one was the cold storage for meat and fish. 

I went to my left where pieces of clothes were neatly folded in one corner. I took a red one and wrapped it around my hair securely. 

Way to look like a maid! 

I chuckled at the thought and walked to the front station.