Chapter Thirteen

Aravena

Aravena

My whole body shivered as the stabbing cold water pierced my skin.

White bubbles surrounded me as I looked through the endless world of dark blue around me.

Underwater waves pushed me away while the weight of my flowy gown grew heavy and dragged me down. My stubborn curls, though, danced merrily around my head.

Fortunately, breathing was never trouble for me, unlike those humans I knew. So, I could stay below the surface for as long as I wanted. 

But time was against me at this moment. I needed to speed up and find the drowning pup soon.

I moved my body against the heavy wave to the front. My legs paddled fast and my hands pushed the salty liquid aside as I looked frantically left and right for the pup.

I hoped Superior Strength would keep him alive till I reached him. That poor thing didn't deserve this, any of this!

I kept swimming against the current—battling against the freezing cold water and limited time.

My heart drummed faster against my ribcage as I pushed forward. 

At one point, my muscles burned from constantly moving for so long. The pounding in my head became unbearable. But there was still no sign of that pup.

What if I was too late? What if the cruel ocean already swallowed him into its bottomless depth? What if he was dea—

I shook such vicious thoughts away and pushed my aching body to swim faster with butterfly strokes. I had to get him. At any cost! 

No.

Nothing.

Not even a fish was in sight.