13. nebbiolo

"Where are we headed?" Ymir asked, glancing at the shops around us as we walked away from the port.

oh right-

i can't imagine that she's used to being up here

this entire town rested on a hillside- with the majority of the wealthy living in large mansions towards the top- restaurants and stores reflected the class status of the residents of the neighborhood

"Trust me there's this great place a little further up," I pointed ahead, down one of the many winding streets.

the bar that i first met ymir at was close to the docks

come to think of it i've never heard of her coming up to the top-

she must be uncomfortable- i don't blame her

"Listen- I feel like I'm underdressed for some fancy brunch spot," I watched as her gaze lingered on the fancy tailors and fine dining restaurants we were passing.

is she nervous?

"I promise the place isn't like that at all, we can start walking back towards the ship once we get our food," I frowned, tugging on her arm to get her to follow.

ITS REALLY JUST A GOOD BAKERY

"Oh! Y/N!" Sasha enthusiastically called out to me, running out from the bakery to greet the two of us.

SEE THEY'RE FRIENDLY

"Hello Sasha," I beamed, glancing back at Ymir who stood back with an awkward smile on her face.

"You brought a friend-" Sasha glanced back at Ymir, a look of recognition crossing over her features, "you're moving awfully fast aren't you?"

HUH

WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS

SASHA ??? MY LOVE ??

"What do you thin-"

"Y/N was telling me all about this place," my name felt slightly strange coming from Ymir, a stark contrast to her usual teasing pet names.

"Oh really-" Sasha leaned towards me, lowering her voice, "Y/N- I know you like our pastries but aren't there nicer places to take your date out to?"

BIG MISTAKE SASHA SHE ISN'T MY DATE

SHE'S MY BOSS

I THINK ??

"We're really no-"

"Y/N what do you recommend?" Ymir cut me off, a teasing glint in her eye.

"Oh uh-" I glanced over at the display case, "all of it is good but you-"

it would be cute to see her eating something really delicate-

NO WAIT

IF SHE DOESN'T LIKE IT WHAT WILL SHE DO ??

"You might like the scones," I pointed at the buttery bread.

that feels like something i can see her eating

"We'll take two of those and whatever she normally gets," Ymir told Sasha.

OK WAIT

"Sasha Ymir and I are-"

"On a date right? Don't worry about it- go have fun you don't need to stay and talk to me," she hummed, quickly packaging our order.

NO UH .

"We aren't-"

"Right," Ymir caught my gaze, "we aren't in a hurry, but it looks like you are so the two of us should get going." She gestured to the small group of people that had congregated by the bakery.

"Alright-" Sasha whispered into my ear as she handed the baked goods over, "tell me all about it later."

THERE'S NOTHING HAPPENING

"You've got it all wron-" Ymir pulled me away, and a customer started talking to Sasha, robbing me of the opportunity to explain myself.

IF YOU HATE ME JUST SAY SO

"Why would you do that?" I whirled around tugging my arm away from Ymir's grasp.

"In my defense you're cute when you're flustered," she hummed, unbothered by the whole situation.

you're way too calm about this whole situation

"In three hours the entire city is going to know about that," I groaned, massaging my temple.

sasha is incredibly sweet

she also has a habit of-

telling everyone everything?

"It's easy enough to clear up," Ymir dismissed me, reaching for a pastry from the bag, "these are good."

"I guess you're right but-" I frowned, unable to shake off the feeling that this was going to horribly backfire.

not that it hasn't already

i'm definitely going to hear something about it from levi and erwin

maybe i should just ghost them

its not that i don't find her attractive

or that i hate fake flirting or anything like that

"We're eating breakfast, chill out," Ymir shot me a look of concern. "If you act all depressed like that I'm going to start thinking you want this to be real or something."

I MEAN

IF YOU WANT

SURE

"Maybe I am," I shrugged off that unpleasant feeling and reached for one of the scones.

sasha really never misses

"Wait a week," she chuckled, leaning over to grab a piece of my scone, "these are really good."

WTF WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT

THERE'S A WHOLE ENTIRE UNTOUCHED ONE .

I KNOW THEY'RE GOOD THAT'S WHY I'M NOT SHARING

"YOU-"

"A little soon for a lovers quarrel don't you think?" She leaned in for more.

"EAT YOUR OWN- WE GOT TWO FOR A REASON-"

I WAS ENJOYING IT YOU ANIMAL

"Stingy."

"You're being way too difficult-" I grumbled, stealing a bite of her pastry.

"Now you're doing it-"

"Only because you did it first, I have zero sympathy for you."

should've thought about that before you stole from me

"I guess you can have it," she paused, "but only because I now have a new place to eat at, it was getting boring frequenting the same bars."

whatever you say

"This isn't really that far away from the ship- you seriously need to get out more," I rolled my eyes. "I'd be happy to take you to all my favorite spots."

"I'd like that."

________________________

first (unofficial) date <33

- ami