73. gewürztraminer

"What does an end really mean?"

"That's an exceptionally stupid question," Levi shook his head, not bothering to look up from the display he was inspecting.

oh whatever

"It ends when you want it to," Erwin shrugged, "this one is nice Y/N."

"Isn't it? It was just finished today," I hummed, looking down on the brilliant sapphire ring Erwin was pointing to.

"That's a horrible answer Erwin," Levi grumbled, coming to join the two of us.

"I agree- what if the ending is more of a mutual thing? Like does something really end unless both parties are willing to let it go?" I rambled on.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I mean- it ended- but it hasn't really-" I paused, "not yet."

"I think you're just lonely," Erwin shrugged, "your father left his position for Mike half a year ago- he doesn't even live in Trost anymore."

WHATEVER

"Does anything really end?" I groaned, glancing around the store Ymir and I had successfully set up six months earlier.

i mean all of that work just for the work no never really end

it's just different

why r you complaining about having customers

maybe if i didn't have customers ymir and i could retire

that's the life

"No matter how much you sigh and stare out of the window, your girlfriend isn't going to come back any faster." Levi rolled his eyes, "don't you have actual work to do?"

"It's handled," I grumbled, "I gave all of the jewelers the day off anyway- we finished all of the recent commissions."

"Let's go out," Erwin suggested, "Mike can come too, it'll be just like in the past-"

i appreciate it erwin

"Anything is better than sitting here," Levi added, "she'll come faster if you're actually doing shit."

"She's supposed to come back soon-" I reached into my pocket, pulling out a folded letter, "her last letter said so."

"I don't envy you," Levi frowned, "let's go do something."

"Fi-" I was cut open by the sound of the door opening.

"Y/N!" Sasha stood in the doorway, out of breath.

"Sasha?"

"She's ba-" before she could finish her sentence I pushed past her rushing out the door.

"LEVI, ERWIN- CLOSE UP FOR ME-" I shouted over my shoulder, tearing down the streets.

i won't be able to go out later

Familiar streets passed by in a blur as I neared the harbor. From behind buildings I could just barely make out the shapes of ships coming into port, gliding effortlessly across a glittering blue sea.

to think that i was on one of those boats not too long ago

and yet-

it feels like nearly a lifetime now

My father had signed the papers and just like that his presence which used to seem suffocating withered away into nothing.

part of that had to do with how quickly mike took over the position

Ymir and the crew helped to set up the shop and then just as quickly as they had stolen me away all those nights ago they disappeared.

that's putting it dramatically

They hadn't really disappeared- in fact Ymir had kept in close touch sending letters from every port they had stopped at.

a total of twelve- the letters sat scattered across my nightstand

But there's a stark difference between letters and a person you can hold.

i want to do a little bit more than hold her-

The business was successful- and from the sound of things Ymir was having fun.

but still

I miss her.

i hope she missed me too

"Y/N!" Connie called out to me, fighting against the crowd to meet me.

"How close is she?" I shouted back to him, "Sasha told me that she was here-"

"I was coming to get you, they just came into the harbor," Connie pointed towards a familiar ship, rapidly closing the distance.

it's really them

As the ship pulled further into view I began to make out figures on deck.

that's eren and mikasa talking by the mast

and jean and hitch are leaning over the water-

behind them-

I pushed through the crowd to get a better view.

historia and armin stood at the helm

oh

there she is

My eyes landed on a familiar figure- one I had been searching for for far too long.

how many times have I stared at this view and looked for you?

you're finally here

ymir

it's kinda stupid but i'm not sure what i should do now-

that IS really stupid

Ymir seemed to be searching for something in the crowd, her gaze darting around. Historia murmured something into her ear before pointing in my direction.

oh

A wide grin broke out on her face as her gaze landed on mine.

she was searching for me too

"Wait for me!" Ymir shouted across the water.

of course

I began to walk along the port, following the ship as it came in to dock.

what is an ending?

"What did I do to deserve such a pretty lady waiting for me to return?" Ymir hopped over the side of the ship as the rest of the crew got busy tying it down.

an ending isn't really something you get to decide, do you?

"Bought me a building," I chuckled, falling comfortably into her embrace, "I missed you."

sometimes an ending is just a beginning

"I missed you more."

"Want to go get tipsy and lay in bed?"

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Ymir murmured into my lips before capturing them in a kiss.

neither would i

__________________________________

well! that's a wrap <3 thank you for coming along with me for this entire journey! it'll probably be a little bit before i write another ymir fic- i still love her to bits- but with finals and general university/work stuff i want to focus on writing one fic for now

LOVE YOU ALL

- ami