34. pinot meunier

"Uh- Ymir," the two of us had begun strolling around the port town, searching for a restaurant Ymir had been excitedly telling me about. "Am I crazy or are there people looking at us?"

"Don't look so tense."

i feel anything but calm

"How can I not-" I glanced to my left, making eye contact with a dangerous-looking woman who smiled back at me.

IM NOT TENSE IM TERRIFIED

"It's just a little bit further, besides," she hummed, "we're walking on the main street they'd be stupid to do anything."

ok sure but-

"Who was the one who was talking about how dangerous this city was?"

"Me," Ymir laughed, "no need to worry, did you forget who your escort is?"

i have an escort ??

"You?"

"Yes exactly!"

wow....

"That doesn't reassure me at all."

"Perhaps I've been a bit too soft on you," she winked at me. "I can't believe you've forgotten my title, I'm the most dangerous thing in this city."

oh god

that still doesn't help

let's just try to get out of this-

"I'm suddenly feeling incredibly self conscious," I muttered at her through gritted teeth, trying desperately to ignore the stares that seemed to follow us wherever we went. "Can we please go inside somewhere?"

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

"This is only to be expected," Ymir scoffed loudly, puffing out her chest, "I'm a bit of a celebrity around here."

YEAH THAT'S PART OF THE PROBLEM

"Oh really?" I rolled my eyes at her, "then why on earth do your 'fans' seem so hostile?"

THERE HAVE BEEN PEOPLE FOLLOWING US EVER SINCE WE STARTED WALKING TOGETHER

"They're just jealous of you, don't pay attention to it."

oh i'm sure

"Jealous of which one of us?"

"Shouldn't that be obvious?"

"No of course not, I'm somewhat of a celebrity myself, and didn't you say it yourself? That I'm cute?" I leaned forward, beaming up at Ymir.

let's hurry-

"Since when did you get good at accepting my compliments," she hummed, guiding me down a side street.

ISN'T THIS A BAD IDEA ?? THIS STREET IS SMALLER, THAT COULD BE DANGEROUS

I MEAN YOU SAID IT YOURSELF

'NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN ON THE MAIN STREET

"Oh well, I thought that maybe it was a good idea to humor you at least a little bit," I bit back my frown, casting one last glance over my shoulder to confirm that we were still being followed. "When are we going to get to the restaurant?"

immediately? please?

"You know Y/N, it strikes me that I never really got to show off to you, I only succeeded in giving you a head wound."

that's totally ok i don't need you to beat someone up you're already cool-

"Ymir I cannot stress enough how little you need to do this-"

if you're worried about my opinion of you- it's really only going to go down if we get caught up in something unnecessary

"I've learned that I'm a very jealous person who can't stand her partner being looked at."

"Ymir- let's just go back to the ship- we can do that instead."

VIOLENCE SHOULD BE AVOIDED WHENEVER POSSIBLE

"Hey assholes," Ymir whipped around, our entourage stopping in their tracks. "What the fuck do you want?"

LISTEN YMIR I THINK THEY HATE YOU MORE THAN THEY HATE ME-

MAYBE WE SHOULDN'T GO AROUND ANTAGONIZING PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY HOSTILE TO US

JUST A THOUGHT

"Ymir come o-"

"Captain," a man with dark brown hair stepped forward, glancing between the two of us. "Since when did you get involved with nobility?"

"Since when was that your business Bertoldt?"

wait a minute bertoldt?

"Where have I heard that name?" I muttered out loud, studying the face of the man in front of us.

he looks familiar- where do i know him from?

"Speak or I'll take action," Ymir pushed me behind her, reaching for her blade.

HOLD ON I THINK HE MIGHT JUST WANT TO TALK- I THINK I RECOGNIZE HIM

"You always had issues with my involvement with nobility, it's only fair," 'Bertold's' mannerisms seemed awfully timid for someone who appeared to be leading this group.

seems like the kind of person who would take orders

not make them

SERIOUSLY WHERE HAVE I SEEN HIM

"Yeah well- I'm working with her, not for her," Ymir shot me a reassuring look. "And anyway our relationship is deeper than that."

stop im going to blush

"She has a fiance."

HOW DOES HE KNOW THAT ??

"And? What about it? I like a challenge," Ymir didn't seem phased at all.

STOP IM GOING TO BLUSH

"My employer is asking me to intervene," Bertoldt stepped forward, his face fully illuminated by the faint rays of sunlight that managed to make their way into the alleyway.

hold on-

i know where i recognize him

what is he doing here ???

"Your employer? You've stooped so low as to be hired by her asshole father?" Ymir scoffed, tightening her grip on her sword.

NO YMIR-

"Her father? I have no clue who that is."

BERTOLDT IS

"Then who the fuck are you working for?"

I REMEMBER NOW- I REMEMBER

"Her fiance."

bertoldt hoover- aide to reiner braun my fiance

but-

why is he here?

______________________

my senioritis is hitting HARD

-ami