33. petit verdot

"Ignore that-" I stood up from my seat, making a bee-line for the door.

"Wai-"

"Sorry I just remembered that there was something I needed to do," I pushed past Ymir.

"You've never been to this city before-" she called after me, scrambling to catch up.

UHM I UH

"Uh- I lied-" I avoided looking at her, picking up the pace as I left the boat, entering the crowded docks.

"Y/N-" she caught up with me, "it isn't safe- come back."

NO .

"We should talk about this stop running away-" she maintained pace with me, not even breaking a sweat.

IM GOING TO DIE IN A HOLE

"What's that over there?" I suddenly stopped in my tracks pointing in a random direction before taking off in the opposite way.

LET ME RUN AWAY

"That isn't going to work on me Y/N," she tore after me, closing the distance between us quickly.

"PLEASE JUST LET IT!"

"TALK TO ME!"

"I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT-"

"WHY?"

WHY WOULD I ?????

"IT'S EMBARRASSING YMIR!"

"NOT AT ALL Y/N-" her voice sounded closer now.

SHE'S RIGHT BEHIND ME ISN'T SHE

"YES, IT IS!"

"NO, IT ISN'T," I felt her hand wrap around my wrist, the force causing me to stumble backward into her.

NO

"It's cute Y/N," her grip on my wrist remained.

it's what-

"Don't do that Ymir," I looked down, catching my breath. "You know what I was talking about earlier."

i'm never going to be able to look at her again

"Yeah, I do, and I'm telling you that I think you're cute."

stop-

"You-"

"You know you're awfully quick to judge Y/N," she paused. "I mean I know I might not have the best reputation but I'm not a liar."

it means less when you say it to everyone you come across

"I mean- it's fine if you think I'm cute but," I frowned, kicking the ground, "you aren't into me like that."

"Says who?"

"Don't lie."

"There you go again with the judgments."

ok let's say you are interested

"If you are interested in a relationship," I bit my lip, glancing up at her. Ymir's expression was serious, as she earnestly looked back at me, "you're not going to give up your lifestyle and I'm not going to give up mine."

and well-

"I don't know why but you seem to really hate the world I've grown up in, the world I plan to return to," I continued.

"That's-" her expression wavered.

"Exactly."

"I wasn't lying earlier though," she frowned, her expression resembling that of a stray dog. "I think you're cute, I like you."

you-

"Do you like me or are you just curious?"

"A little bit of both," she shrugged, finally letting go of my wrist. "Sure, the two of us will go back to our own worlds after this ends but I don't see why we can't take each other seriously before then."

i guess-

you're kinda proving my point

we have different views when it comes to this

"So something noncommittal?"

"Sure," she grinned at me.

i just-

"What if one of us wants it to be more?"

i mean emotions aren't something you can control

"Tough luck, we're both going back to our lives after this, why not have fun in the meantime."

it's fine if you think that you can do that-

but im not sure that i can

what happens then

"Look," she leveled with me, "I think you're attractive Y/N, I'm not going to pretend that I don't."

"I know that now-" my frown deepened.

"At least look a little happy about it."

"I am it's just-"

"No strings attached then- we both find the other attractive- why not act on that?"

i don't hate the idea of it

"If you're against it I won't push but-" she clapped her hands together, "a one-week trial period, give me that."

"You're starting to sound desperate," I laughed lightly, looking up at her.

"Yeah I am," her grin widened.

"If you're that desperate I can agree to a trial," I gave in, meeting her gaze.

a week can't hurt

"Really?" Ymir's entire expression brightened, "just so you know there's no way to stop the trial once it starts."

"Yes, really."

"Alright then," she caught my hand in hers, giving it a squeeze. "Let's take the long way home."

where even are we?

"Ok," I looked around for the first time, taking in the streets of the portside town. "Where are we?"

....

"I thought you knew where we were?" Ymir teased, leading me down the winding streets, "if I didn't run after you what would you be doing now?"

i would probably be totally lost and on my own

"You've gotta be really careful running off like that, you're not unattractive Y/N, it's dangerous to be walking alone in an unfamiliar area."

you're right

"I knew you were going to run after me," I looked away from her, lying through my teeth.

"Cute, but you're definitely lying."

darnit

"You have no way of proving that."

"Sure thing."

"Where are we headed?" I looked back up at her.

we're walking away from the port?

"I'm hungry, let's go get something to eat."

"Lead the way."

her hand feels warm

_______________________

SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE )): my power went out and i caught a cold so i've been kinda out of it- hope yall are doing well

but i hope u like this chapter! not really a confession (believe me when they do that it'll be a lot more special) just kinda an acknowledgment that they're interested in each other- y/n is worried that it might become something more and ymir is pretty confident in her ability to monitor her own feelings (but let's be real that won't happen <3)

im going to go sleep now

- AMIIII