Fourteen

Jamie

        His phone only rang once before he picked up.

        "Jamie?" he said. I heard Sally yell something in the background.

        "Yeah...yeah uh..." I started. My throat closing up again, the sobs threatening to come out.

        "Jamie, what's wrong?" he said quickly.

        I took a deep breath. There was no doubt in my mind he heard it.

        "What's going on?" Sally's voice became louder in the background.

        I pulled my jacket tighter around me, the air getting cooler as I stood in front of Jake's apartment.

        "I don't know, she's gone quiet." Harry said softly.

        I heard what sounded like the phone being handed off and realized he was probably handing the phone to Sally. Why on earth did I call Harry? Damn my impulsive, drunk mind.

        "Jamie. What's going on?" Sally said, concern filled her voice.

        "I need you to come pick me up at Jake's." I stuttered into the phone. I looked up to his building, changing my mind in case he decided to look out and see me still standing here. "Actually, just pick me up at Barnes and Noble. I'll walk there. It's not too far." I began walking hastily in that direction.

        "Jamie it's 3am, it's dangerous. Just stay where you are, or go back into Jake's." She said. I could hear boys mumbling in the background. Harry's voice was strong when he told Sally he was coming with.

        "No, no Harry. It's okay. I've done this before." her voice was muffled, she was obviously trying to cover the speaker on the phone so I wouldn't hear. Sorry, Sally. Heard you loud and clear. I thought back to the other few times Sally had to come get me after a fight with Jake about stupid drinking and stupid parties. It was one of the only problems we ever had and tonight it just got a whole lot bigger.

        They went back and forth for a bit. Treating me like a child that was left on the streets. Suddenly that's exactly what I felt like. Jake didn't leave me on the street though, I couldn't stay there after he did that to me. I couldn't exactly ask him for a ride home. He needed to cool off and I needed to let him cool off before anything else happened. I shouldn't have been so stupid tonight. Of course Sally would never leave me stranded at a bar. Jake was right, I threw myself at Harry. He had a reason to be mad. I was his girlfriend and there I was at the bar with another guy, it didn't matter who it was.

        "Jamie?" Harry's voice spoke through the phone again. Suddenly any of the self hatred I was emitting was gone. I fell to the release of his voice running through my ears.

        "Hey." I said simply. 

        "I'm coming with Sally if that's alright." 

        "That's okay. I'm still walking to the book store though." I said, sniffling a little bit.

        "Stay safe. We'll be there soon." I heard a car door shutting and then I hung up.

        Harry

        "What the hell is going on?" I asked angrily. I felt like nobody was about to tell me anything. Jamie was obviously distraught on the phone and now making her way through the city at night. However small the city is, there are still jerks out there. Of course, she was dating one of them.