Thirty-Four

Jamie

Harry was here, right in front of me. He was wearing tight black jeans, black boots, and a brown jacket I'd seen in photographs so many times. Wisconsin was getting cold compared to the warm temperatures he left in LA. His face was flushed like he'd run a marathon, his hair perched in a bun on the back of his head.

"Harry, what on earth are you doing here?" I asked.

He stuck both of his hands in the front pockets of his jacket.

"I was hoping we could talk." He said lightly.

"Yes, of course." I turned to let him in, completely forgetting I was wearing quite possibly the sluttiest outfit he's ever seen me in.

I closed the door behind him and locked it as soon as his tall figure was completely in the apartment. I definitely had to change before any type of conversation was going to happen. It'd only been a few weeks since Harry had been standing in this very spot before he left. But it felt like years, like we'd changed into two completely different people.

"If you don't mind, I'm going to change out of these clothes from last night." I rolled on my heel and began walking to my dresser.

"Was it a costume party?" Harry asked.

I turned with a few items of clothing in my hands as he sat down on the couch.

"Not quite." I said quietly.

He made a small snickering noise.

"Something funny?" I asked.

Apparently he didn't think I'd hear that. His emerald eyes were wide when he looked back up at me.

"No, of course not." He said attempting to keep a straight face.

I shook my head, rolled my eyes and made my way to my bathroom.

I glanced at the bathtub when I turned the light on. A blanket and my pillow remained there from when Jake slept in here. Oh no, did Harry run into Jake in the hallway? They would have had to cross paths with that little of time in between. Great job, Jamie. The beautiful Harry Styles comes back to your dinky little town to talk to you and he runs into your psycho ex.

I pushed the thoughts out of my mind and went back to dressing. I decided to leave the knee high socks on, because it was getting a little bit chilly. I threw on a pair of grey track shorts and a black tank top. I shook my hair out and grabbed my brush to smooth down at least the top. I cringed when I thought about how long it would take to get the layers of hairspray out later.

When I felt like I had made enough of a difference that I didn't look like a stripper, I stepped out of the bathroom.

Harry had taken his shoes off and he had a book plopped in his lap with his feet up on my coffee table. He looked so comfortable, almost like he was home. He sifted through the pages. What on earth was he reading?

"Sorry about that, I just..." I began to say, but couldn't find the words as soon as I saw the coffee stained page I knew too well.

Jesus Christ, he was reading After.

"This Hardin guys isn't very nice." Harry said closing the book.

"It's unfortunate how he just continues to leave Tessa even though he truly loves her." I said turning away, hoping he wouldn't see the flaming red color my cheeks were turning.

I felt a lump in my throat, but this time it wasn't my stomach.

"Jamie, I'm sorry." He began.

I made it to my counter top and grabbed a bag of coffee grounds. I reached down to grab a spoon out of the drawer, but missed it by a second letting the spoon drop to the floor. The loud sound banging in my head, reminding me I still had a bit of a hangover.