Thirty-Two

Harry

I was jolted awake at the loud buzzer filling my apartment. I must have fallen asleep while I was waiting for Nadine. I moved as quickly as I could from the couch to the door. I rubbed my eyes sleepily before I hit the door button.

It took me a moment to process a pregnant Nadine would soon be standing at my door. I was definitely awake now. That was for sure.

I shook my head and ran a hand through my hair. I really needed to take a shower, note to self.

Upon opening the door, the hallway was still empty so I patiently waited and leaned against the door frame waiting for her. Thoughts were racing through my mind about babies and fatherhood, what would happen to the tour, but one thought out weighed them all. I could not stop thinking about Jamie.

As soon as I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, I stood up straight. Then I saw her. Her golden hair had gotten longer since the last time we'd seen each other. The bright blonde highlights still peeking out from the summer sun. She smiled lightly as she saw me waiting for her. I returned the smile and brought my attention immediately to her middle, a middle that wasn't poking out of her white, cotton v neck.

As soon as she got closed enough she threw her arms around my neck. Confusion was dripping from my face, but she didn't seem to notice. I politely removed her hands from my neck. Usually I would return the hug, no matter who was hugging me. But there were more pressing matters at hand right now and I was about two seconds away from losing it.

"Hello Harry." She grinned.

"Nadine." I said quietly.

We stood awkwardly in my door frame in uncomfortable silence. I just stared at her belly, completely speechless. There was not a six month old baby in there.

"What is this?" I asked, anger was bubbling.

"I told you I wanted to talk to you. Please, invite me in. This is terribly rude, Harry." She crossed her arms over her chest and tapped her foot on the dark carpet below her feet.

I shook my head and led her into my apartment. I closed the door lightly behind me and proceeded to follow her to the living room.

She sat down on the nearest couch and crossed one leg over the other.

I sat down on the coffee table directly in front of her. I leaned forward on my knees and brought my hands together in a ball.

"Six months pregnant, Nadine." I said.

Her eyes grew wide.

She stayed silent.

I stood up angrily. Biting my thumbnail, a nervous habit. My world was spinning.

"Harry...you have to understand something." She said quietly.

"Were you ever pregnant?" I asked her, cutting off the conversation she was ready to have with me. I turned and looked at her, dead in the eye. I could tell by her expression, she wasn't expecting a reaction from me like this.

I probably looked like hell right now.

I was all about keeping the peace and what not. But damn, this girl was about to drive me insane.

"No." She croaked.

I let out a low grumble. Not sure of what to say next. I paced back and forth again.

I left Jamie for this.

"Harry, I needed to talk to you. You weren't returning my calls." She began talking quickly.