Origins

"My motherboard is finally finished."

A young Scott is proudly showing it off to Milton Dyer. "Wow." Dyer enthused. "That is marvellous!"

"I know." Scott smirked. Then his eyes soften and a genuine smile is put in his face. "But I couldn't have done it without everything you taught me - to see every error as an opportunity."

Dyer chuckles.

"And today, I'll show Cyrus Borg that I am an awesome inventor."

Dyer raises from the kitchen chair and turns his head to look at Scott with a mixture of curiosity and longing - as if he was waiting for a contradiction.

"Because that's what you really want?" He wondered. Scott answers in the spur of a moment. "Of course." He immediately regrets it. That's not exactly what he wants.

"Sometimes you think you want something because that's the thing that will give you what you really want." Dyer explained.

"I don't follow." Scott admitted. He looks at Dyer disconcertingly. "You will," Dyer told him. "In time."

Cut to Zane, who's thoroughly watching as a falcon flaps its wings. The mighty bird flies off fast, beckoning Zane to follow. Despite being new to the world, Zane proceeds to run away from his house.

Zane crashes into a man in wheelchair, Cyrus Borg, just because he chose not to take the other turn. Borg scoffs and brushes off his knees. Zane can see that he quite much offended the prissy man so he immediately gives Borg a bow.

"I am truly asking for your forgiveness."

They look at each other for a solid five seconds, which gives Zane time to scan Borg.

Finally, Borg gives Zane an accepting smile before leaving. It's then that Zane notices how Borg has dropped a folder.

"Wait, Mister." Zane picks up the scroll in haste and rushes after Borg. "I believe you dropped this."

Borg glances up at the kind gentleman and retrieves the brown folder. He smiles at Zane. "Thank you, uh-"

"Zane." Zane said, smiling back. "Zane Julien."

Borg's smile is wiped away almost in sync. "Julien?" He asked. "Affirmative. I was built to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Dr. Julien just finished me two hours ago."

"So that's why your face is new to me." Borg murmured. "Of course Julien built a robot with the knowledge of me building one." He continued.

"You are?" Zane asked, most curious. "Wow, that AI must be very lucky. You are Dr. Borg - the wealthiest man in Ninjago City."

Borg nodded. "Impressive." He confessed. Zane keeps on going to impress even more. "I mean, as a rich inventor, it is an essential responsibility to provide your invention with supplies no matter the obstacles."

By that, Zane turns around with a wave. Therefore, he doesn't notice Borg's grin.

Borg is going to finish his own advanced life-form and send her to look for money in the abandoned prison, Kryptarium, established only a few miles away from the city.

However, that's where Scott is headed after hearing about the place from Aria - the tatsu he found just a week ago.

Zane meets another man, who's more welcoming, on the opposite block.

"Oh, I saw a falcon flying that way." The man pointed at a specific direction.

"Thank you very much. I do not think I got your name." Zane smiled. "Lou." The man introduced. He then reveals a little toddler, resting in the baby wagon beside the bench.

"Is that a human offspring?"

Lou snickers at the obvious question. "Sure is, his name is Cole."

Zane smiles. "It was a pleasure meeting you and mini you. I shall go after that falcon now." He said while proceeding to leave.

"Just don't get lost!" Lou cried out after him. It was with some sternness, but he was also concerned.

"I will not get lost. I am an advanced droid." Zane told.

Cut to Zane being lost in the desert. "I am lost." He mumbled.

At this point, he's just strolling around. The flacon left moments ago. Though, the feeling of being followed is drilled in Zane's nerve circuits.

"My father would have advised me not to enter that thing..." Zane said, finding himself facing a ginormous establishment.

"Looks like an old prison." Zane's curiosity is aroused. He's new to the world and every situation is an opportunity to learn.

The robot runs into Kryptarium to explore. The place is uncanny and the cold air makes Zane shiver through his entire body.

"What is a little cold when there is an entirely new area to-"

Zane is cut off by a shadow that looks exactly like a human - standing by one of the cells. Zane blinks again and the shadow is gone.

Scott hides behind an old sofa. "Someone else is here. I saw it." He whispered. Aria is hiding in Scott's jacket, wondering what Scott is even here for.

"You said the guardian of all catsu-"

"Tatsu." Aria corrected. "Tatsu dragons... hid something powerful in here." Scott said. "This is bad. The Oni Mask shall not be found." Aria warned. "The only mask?"

"The Oni Mask." Aria told. She gasps at her own revelation. "Wow." Scott expressed. He can't move, though. A hand from above grabs Scott's head. Both Aria and Scott shriek.

Aria makes the whole sofa fly - with her powers - and Zane flies into the wall together with it.

Scott runs out of the room in a flash and Zane can't even process what happened. In the hall, however, a third life-form is acting.

Pixal has just gotten the hold of a huge bag of antique things when something runs into her making her drop the entire thing. Pixal groans.

Scott stands up, hyperventilating. It's too dark to see anything. He trips and falls down a deep hole. In the meantime, Pixal is frightened by the scream and tries to run. Her leg is broken from the crash, so she must limp out.

Zane makes his way to the exit, panting. He finally finds his way out. He gives the place one last glance.

A limping silhouette is seen moving on the parapets above; blocking the moonlight. Zane runs away from the building in fear.

By the wall a bit further away, Scott is jumping out from a hole leading to the sewer systems. He coughs softly - holding the very thing he came for.

The Oni Mask.