Rose of luck

It's getting dark and storm clouds proceed to cover the sky. Shortly, the city is hit by pouring rain.

"Finally, school is over. You were the last one to take that test, and I hope that won't be the case every day." Jin complained, curled up in Pixal's purse surrounded by prawn crackers.

Pixal walks out from the schoolyard with a big smile. Jin beams up at her. "Judging by your face, you passed."

"My father will have to let me go here now, I can't be homeschooled for the rest of my life." Pixal hoped.

Eventually, she looks up and notices one of the boys from her class a bit further away, sitting alone on a bench. Pixal decides to check up on him.

"Wait, isn't he the son of that poor Julien? Didn't Kai Smith say he was a bad influence?" Jin murmured.

"But he looks sad." Pixal noted.

"Oh well, guess master chose you for a reason." Jin smiled. Pixal hides Jin and moves with caution towards the bench.

"Hello, Zane? Something on your mind?" Pixal inquired. Zane flinches and before long, he frowns.

"Oh, you. Kai's best friend." Zane muttered.

"I wouldn't say best friend. We've just known each other since first grade." Pixal corrected. Zane looks away and Pixal exhales.

"I just came to let you know that I never intended to cause a bad link between us. Cole wrote on your locker and I was about to erase it, I promise."

Zane loosens up.

"I wasn't aware that Kai had become a bully after losing his father." Pixal added.

"Cole is always supporting him no matter- Wait, losing his father?" Zane repeated.

"I know Kai can be rude, but you mustn't be rude back. That will only make things worse. You're better than that." Pixal put in. She gives Zane a warm smile followed by offering Zane a pink rose with no root.

"Huh--Those roses are worth a lot. You just carry around such stuff to show off?" Zane mumbled.

"No, my father gave it to me. He told me to use it with devotion, and I believe you require it more than I do." Pixal explained. Zane stares.

"Is this a prank?"

"Take it, what my father doesn't know won't hurt him." Pixal reaches out her hand more.

Zane slowly lifts his arm. He gently takes the rose, made of glass, with a weak blush.

"Now you can trade it away for whatever you and your father might need."

Zane looks into Pixal's eyes, no longer with hatred. He feels himself getting all warm and the rain evaporates from his view.

"Th-thank you mom, I-I mean, ma'am." Zane uttered, almost in a little squeak while holding the rose with both hands. Pixal gives him a little nod before turning around.

"See you tomorrow."

Zane stares after Pixal with a silly smile. He wants to shout, thank her again, or perhaps give her a proper goodbye. But the words are stuck in his throat.

Pixal runs off and disappears behind a building two streets away.

"What was that?" Shiroi asked with a grin. The white tatsu dragon soars up in front of Zane's face.

"Wow, she is perfect, I mean, the rose is perfect." Zane expressed. He quickly shakes his head and stands up while the rain starts to increase.

"The rose is going to help your father a lot with his business now! Talk about luck."

"I figure, I found luck in Pixal." Zane said. "Perhaps school will be less of a suffering now."

"That's the spirit! Just try to avoid Kai. We don't want Omega to transform you nor him into an Offspring." Shiroi urged.

"I vow to you, I will never let Omega get to me, whoever it is."

Zane holds his head high and enjoys the rain.

Pixal runs into Borg tower hyperventilating. A man dressed in grey approaches Pixal in a wheelchair. "Cyrus Borg? Are you still awake?" Pixal questioned. Cyrus Borg lifts his glasses and clears his throat.

"Pixal Borg, where were you? You said you'd pick up some test answers and go straight home."

"A biker just tried to take my bag near the hotel." Pixal said with a short breath.

"Pixal, you're behind schedule. I should have asked my assistant to pick you up at your school." Borg mumbled with eyes stuck on a scroll.

"My schedule? What about my safety? I could have gotten hurt." Pixal stated angrily.

"You must all the time be at your best. A model, especially if she is an AI, doesn't associate with lower life forms." Borg told as he finally meets Pixal's eyes. "Go to your room immediately and get dry. You're next poster is in progress, and I've already hired someone who's going to take the photo." Borg continued.

"What? You invented something new last week. I'm exhausted after all the signing and meetings with fans." Pixal complained.

"Don't question me. The photographer will be here in fifteen minutes so meet me in the studio in ten." Borg ordered. Pixal ties her fists and snaps.

"All you care is about your image. It's always all about what you want, but have you ever stopped and taken the time to ask me what I want?"

Borg was taken aback. He adjusts his glasses again.

"Pixal, I am your father and-"

"You have never been my father. I am only your primary asset and assistant built to serve you."

Pixal runs past Borg and upstairs. Borg turns his wheelchair towards the stairs with a concerned face. "Don't use that attitude with!"

Pixal slams her door shut.

Borg sighs. "I'm only doing what's best for our family. No matter what it takes, I will provide you with wealth. I don't care what I have to sacrifice in the progress." He murmured.