Chapter Twenty Nine

"Jaa na mera baccha." Siddharth ushered her towards the orphanage front door, pecking her lips gently. "I'll follow you."

Shehnaaz smiled, "I want to help you with the food." She said, turning back to him. "We'll go in together."

Siddharth chuckled, shaking his head. "You won't listen. Maa, aap jao Mukku ke saath. Hum aa rahe hai."

Rita Maa nodded and led Samyukta into the orphanage, laughing and talking intelligibly while Siddharth handed Shehnaaz a bag. "Ab khush?"

Shehnaaz pouted, nodding like a happy child. Siddharth kissed her forehead gently, held her hand and walked towards her home hand in hand.

As soon as the couple entered the orphanage, they were both surrounded by children on all sides, chanting both their names repeatedly. They handed the food bags to one of the orphanage staff and allowed the little ones to drag them into the main building.

SidNaaz laughed at the children's excitement as they started talking all at once. "Ek-ek karke." Shehnaaz screamed over the chaotic sounds. "Kucch samajh nahi aa raha hai aise, ek ek karke bolo."

The children stopped talking all at once and Shehnaaz knelt in front of them, on the concrete stairs connecting the main building to the orphanage grounds. "Ab bolo. Sab ek-ek karke."

The children nodded in unison and one of the kids, a toddler of 4 or 5 looked back at the others, as if asking for permission. "Bolo Lisa."

"Lisa missed Sanu" She said cutely, with a pout on her adorable little face. Shehnaaz scooped her into her arms and nuzzled her cheeks.

"Sanu also missed her little Lee." Shehnaaz cooed.

Lisa gave her a toothy smile. "Who is he?" She asked, pointing at Siddharth.

"He is Siddharth, my.. my husband."

"Husband kaun hota hai?"

Shehnaaz frowned in thought. "Husband matlab forever best friend."

Siddharth smiled at her explanation.

"How old are you now?" Siddharth asked softly.

Lisa frowned in concentration, counting her fingers. They both watched the little angel patiently, waiting for her to figure out the answer. Lisa looked up pouting and Shehnaaz smiled in encouragement. "Four."

"That's right. Very good, Lisa. You're already a genius." Shehnaaz cooed, kissing her cheek and Lisa giggled, getting off Shehnaaz's lap. Shehnaaz looked back at the other kids, prompting them to shower her with their own questions. For the next few minutes, Siddharth and Shehnaaz talked to the youngest of the kids at the orphanage, answering the weirdest of their questions with utmost patience.

Digwijay Sharma saw the couple surrounded by the children. "Ander toh aane do didi bhaiyya ko." He exclaimed, adressing the children.

"Manager uncle." Shehnaaz jumped to her feet, smiling widely at the older man. Digwijay Uncle smiled, pulling her into a hug. "Kaisi hai meri bacchi?"

"Acchi hu manager uncle." Shehnaaz responded cheerfully and the older man kissed her forhead gently.

"Ander Chalo, Siddharth aa jaa beta." Digwijay Uncle pulled the couple into the building.

***

A few hours later, Shehnaaz sat with the orphanage staff, talking nineteen to dozen about anything & everything under the big blue sky, occasionally Siddharth added something to the story, mostly content in watching her chirping and laughing with her first famiiy. Samyukta asked endless questions from the institute matron about her maami and she was not disappointed with the answers.