Chapter Sixteen: you haven't won yet

Zephyr's viewpoint

   I tossed impatiently on my bed. I had been up awaiting the victorious howl of the king. He had to capture Xyra or I would never meet my own mate. I couldn't leave her, not because she was my best friend and sister, not because she was my alpha, but because I just couldn't. My loyalty to her was beyond friendship or any other bond; it was just there.

   I wasn't the only one, Moira was also as incredibly loyal to her as I was. It was like she was our supreme commander. April's wasn't that strong, especially after she mated Lexington. So it wasn't like I didn't want to leave and go to him, I just couldn't.

   I knew Xyra was a difficult challenge, a real one the king would wish he never faced, but I still had hope he would win. Xyra had great chances of winning with Majesty and her powers, but so does he. It was a chase which the winner wasn't certain. To others who didn't know the extent of her powers, they would think he would win for sure. But I knew better. And to prove my point, it had been hours since the chase started and yet no howl.

They were probably halfway across the damn planet!

   I sat up and pulled my hair with frustration. I shouldn't have left… Okay, I should have because he had no right to take away my choice. But again, he didn't come looking for me and it hurt. Maybe his loyalty was to his king as mine was to my childhood best friend. Or maybe my shift affected him more than I thought it…

   I jumped out of the bed when I heard a howl, a loud victorious howl that sounded like an explosion of cosmic sounds.

He won! He freaking won!

   Moira immediately pushed into my consciousness. I accepted her link with a happy and gleeful laugh. Moira was laughing too. Tears rolled down my cheeks, tears of joy I didn't bother to wipe off.

He got her… April chuckled… I will not let this opportunity to tease her go.

Hell yes!… Moira shrieked… Fuck! Ima gonna make her cry by the time I'm done with her!

But, does this mean I have to leave Lex?… April asked with slight fear… I can't…

You don't have to… I cut her off… I'm going with her, and Moira too, right?

You better believe that, bitch! There is no way in hell I'm letting you two have all the fun without me. Who's going to boost your fabulousness if I don't follow to guide you two to supreme gorgeousity?!

   I snorted while April laughed. It would be boring without her, but it would still be fun.

And school? What about school?… She asked.

Fuck homework. It's not like I ever read or anything… I said with a dismissive tone… And beside, I'm sure my rich boyfriend can figure something out for me. You hear that, girls? My boyfriend is rich!

Showoff… April said with a playful scoff while Moira laughed.

Yeah, the first guy she will actually be with that has change in his pocket. Remember that other bulb head she dated last summer? The first one?… She said while laughing. I frowned as April joined in mocking my taste in men. I was about to reply them when Xyra pushed into our conversation with an angry voice.

Can someone come over and give me something to wear?! There is no way I'm shifting back and letting this fool see the skeleton I call body!